Why become a member? ×

0000 steel wool + nitro finish question

MarkG3

My recently refinished Nitro Dirnt has got a shiny nitro finish, I want to get it dull like my Highway One. So if I rubbed some of the 0000 steel wool onto the body would I get the desired effect and also once rubbed down would the nitro still wear?

Also would there be a risk of going through to the wood or is that the point of the wool that its so fine it just does the top top layer?

Edited by OBT1000_S12

I've done this. It wont go through the wood, or the paint for that matter. It could over time I suppose. It wont give a flawless matte finish, but will give a scoured effect, but very very small scouring. With this in mind it's best always to go in a circular motion. Also it will polish back to gloss at rub points like the arm cut. You might get a finer matte finish with T Cut or 2000 to 3000 grit automotive sanding pad.

BTW the finish on the Fender CS La Cabronita has a finish akin to 0000 steel wool..

I'll see if I can get a pic up of mine :)

Thanks! I don't mind it wearing through to the wood through normal playing just don't want to end up sanding it off if you get me. That would be good if you could take a few pictures, did you do it under the scratchplate as well?

Ok cool, just tried using the good old kitchen sponge with the green bit on in circular motions and has come up quite nicely actually, seems to of taken that slight edge off. Would the 0000 wool do it that little bit more or is it the same effect roughly?

Edited by OBT1000_S12

[quote name='OBT1000_S12' timestamp='1368220893' post='2074726']
Ok cool, just tried using the good old kitchen sponge with the green bit on in circular motions and has come up quite nicely actually, seems to of taken that slight edge off. Would the 0000 wool do it that little bit more or is it the same effect roughly?[/quote]

Same effect only more so.

A better way IMO is to use [url=http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_163133_langId_-1_categoryId_255242]automotive finishing pads[/url], as they don't leave little bits of metal behind like steel wool. They're essentially the same idea as a green pan scourer, but are coated with an über-fine abrasive.

P.