Why become a member? ×

Markbass 2x10 cabinet question

MrRatty

Hi,

We played a charity event yesterday where cabs were provided and the cab provided for bass was a Markbass 2x10. I don't know the exact model but it was ported so from the Markbass website I would make a guess at the Standard 102HF model. I usually play through an old Ashdown ABM 2x10 and it was interesting to note that the Markbass cabinet had great lows (depth and control) and good volume but I couldn't get the edgy more gnarly sound I'm used to (and like) with the Ashdown. I didn't have a lot of time to try different things (it was very much plug in, a quick riff for levels then go) so I was wondering if this smoother more controlled sound is typical of more modern cabinets, a characteristic of Markbass or do I just like a horrible sound! I case it helps I was using my old TE AH200 (EQ diabled) and my Aerodyne Jazz with the P up full, J off and tone up full (these are my usual gig settings and as I mentioned, we didn't have much time to fiddle).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Markbass cabs put out whatever you put in. You put a clean sound into them, they put out clean. You put a dirty sound into them, you get a dirty sound out.
I get my dirt from my pedals. I have a slightly driven clean sound from the Bass Murf & add dirt with a distortion pedal. If I want the bass to sound like the bass does, I turn the pedals off.

So if you want a gnarly sound, you need to get it with something other than the cab. IMO that is how it should be, but if you're liking your sound, just get another ABM 2x10 if you're needing more volume & lows.

As above, Markbass will put out what comes in. Plus, being fairly high-wattage cabs, it`s unlikely you`ll get any kind of breakup unless really pushing them to their limits - and I would expect that to be ear-splitting volume.

Many thanks for you replies. It is useful to know that the Markbass cab is so neutral and that my cab must be adding significant colour to my sound. If a similar occasion arises again I shall have to apply some processing to cater for the difference.