Why become a member? ×

Project idea. Acoustic into semi acoustic

So i have this acoustic bass, one of the £70 jobbies off fleabay, and its intonation and pickup system is wack. so im thinking of changing it into a semi acoustic (ie magnet bobbin pickups, adjustable bridge etc) And im wondering about any tips or advice. Mainly to do with the bridge. Im planning on using the normal ones you see on most semi acoustics, and im worried about the force of the bridge caving in the top of the bass due to the 2 anchor points for it. The ball end will be held by a tailpiece.

So what im thinking of doing is cutting a large slot in the back of it and gluing in a block down the centre. Im not too fussed comestically as i can clean it up, but is this necessary? Will the top hold the force of the bridge? Anyone done anything similar?

Any problems that i may encounter?

Sorting it out as an acoustic bass would probably be the more practical project. How suitable an adjustable bridge is as a plan depends on how high the strings are over the body, there probably won't be space, and then its reset the neck territory.

@ japaxe

This would be the bass i have

This would be the new bridge thing

And the tailpiece

@foxen

I kinda realise that with the bridge height issue thing, but i may try going for just saddles in tracks on the current bridge. But i dont mind as i paid £30 for the bass. So its more of an entertainment thing.