Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thinking about upgrading my rig

JamesBass

Right so as the title says, I'm thinking about upgrading my rig, currently I play an upgraded Squire P Bass and a Rickenbacker 4003 through an Ashdown EB180, playing mainly Rock in my originals band but also doing the session and dep work playing all sorts of other genres.

I'm finding while my Ashdown is alright and passable, it's just not what I enjoy playing though anymore, I don't get enough growl when playing in my originals band and the tone of it just isn't that great, plus it's fairly heavy and worst of all its the most awkward thing to carry thanks to Ashdowns design of sticking a single handle on top when all the weight seems to be at the bottom!

Now I've been looking at pretty much EVERY type of amp on the market, boutique, mass produced, solid state and valve. I'm pretty certain I want a valve amp, I love that warmth and tone, it's just pleasant to hear and I won't mind lugging a heavy head and cab about as long as I know I'm gonna get the tone I want from it!

So my fellow bass chatters recommend me something to look at in a more serious way! Price isn't an issue for the time being

Thanks in advance!

Need more info on the sounds you are looking for to give advice.

But I would start with .... don't fixate on valve amps. You can get 98% of the way there with really lightweight stuff these days and at only 10% of the weight, and (probably) better reliability also (although I'm sure many would argue with that last point as a generalisation).

Hamfist, primarily my band play a brand of Rock that is very similar to old classic British Rock, so think The Who, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin, however I also play away from the band, Country, POP, Blues, Jazz and more Rock. Pretty much after an all rounder, I'm really after that lovely warm tone, I just can't find that with my Ashdown, it's so lifeless, my bass does sound great but it just doesn't have that "oh my god" factor. I'm not that fussed about weight so long as it is balanced correctly, Ie; not just a single handle on top when all the weight is at the bottom like my Ashdown!

Lozz, I saw that video when they first announced it earlier this year and was VERY tempted by one, but I'm looking around and seeing what else is out there, what's reliable, what do people say to avoid etc.

Cheers though guys :)

Not an issue for the time being, I have a fairly large savings already and am happy to wait, 6 months or how ever long it takes to get the necessary amount. I'm pretty sure Barefaced cabs are something I WILL be looking in to, heard so many good things about them.

IMO, valves are overrated.

For a new rig with an unlimited budget, I'd be looking at Aguilar, Genz Benz and Markbass amps and Barefaced, Bergantino and Aguilar cabs.

An Ampeg SVT7PRO amp might be worth a look, but I'd start with any amp and a Bergantino HD212 cab, as a first step.

Can't seem to really go wrong with bergantino cabs, or a BF super 12T it would seem. I wouldn't say the same about the smaller BF cabs as my perception is that many owners seem to move them on after finding they are not quite what they are looking for. You hardly ever see a S12T for sale though.

As for amps, I'd say most valve amps are more "one trick ponies", and that you are describing your needs as being rather more varied. If you must have valve, you'll hardly hear a bad word said about the Mesa 400. The Orange AD200B also has many, many fans, seems fairly versatile and is readily available.
Otherwise, there are lots of flavours of "great" in the SS and SS/hybrid world. My recommendations would include .....

TC Electronic RH750
Aguilar TH500/ AG500/DB751
Markbass TTE 500/ Little Mark tube 500
Genz Shuttle max 9.2
GK 700RB II / Fusion 550

Edited by hamfist

Cheers for the recommendations Hamfist! I'll have to begin to look around and start trying amps out, I'm thinking I'll go second hand for a cab, there are so many good value deals out there! Might even go second hand on the head too, if the right one crops up that is!

I've just started gigging my new amp, an Aguilar TH500, and I'd recommend that everyone listens to one of these.

I was expecting it to be good but it's much better than that.

Through Bergantino cabs this is the best small amp I've heard.