Why become a member? ×

String problem?

Count Bassy

I've had a Fender Urge Mk1 (32" scale) for about a year now, I've kept the strings that were on it when I got it, and it's been great, and with a very even response over the whole fret board.

Anyway I decided that I perhaps wanted a fatter, less 'trebley' sound, so rightly or wrong decided to fit some heavier strings.

This went OK, but extra tension pulled the neck foward a bit, raising the action at the dusty end. I played it like this for a week, and although it didn't have the desired affect on the tone (and in retrospect the E string sound a bit muffled even then), it was playable.

So this week I decided to adjust the truss rod to reduce the relief on the neck. Physically this went OK in that it reduced the relief to where I wanted it, and brought the action back down.
BUT: There was an incredible dead spot on the E string 7th fret, Not just a bit quieter, but a lot quieter with no sustain at all, almost like I was muting it. There was still plenty of clearance on the frets, and no fret rattle when playing, so it would not seem to simply be too low an action.

Anyway, I thought, this is no good, so I put the truss rod back where it had been, thinking that this would solve the problem.
But no! I now have a complete E string that is dead, and at the seventh fret is worse than ever.

My next plan is to put my original E string back on and see if that helps, and if it doesn't then put all the original strings back on.

The new strings are 'Elite Player series', Nickel plated, 105,85,65,45.

The original strings are of unknown make(s), 95,80,60,45

Anyone got any ideas? Is this just a duff string? are Elites crap? Unfortunately I bought them about 6 months ago, so can hardly take them back now.
I had heard of 'dead spots' butr never thought that they could be this bad!

As it happens I didn't like the feel of the extra tension that much, and it didn't have the desired affect on tone anyway (it lost the ploppy sound), so the next step (having solved this problem) might be to go back to a lighter gauge, but try half rounds or something.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Clive

Edited by Clive Thorne

I personally have never found adjusting the neck relief on a bass,or changing strings creating a dead spot,that was not already there. as nearly every bass i have bought needed new strings,and an adjustment because i like a very low action.
Needless to say new strings,improve tone,sustain,maybe its a duff string as you suggest.
Maybe the new strings just brought the bad E string to the fore?

Could be a duffer. I remember my guitarist busting a string in sound check years back and putting a new one on. Nothing we did could get it to intonate properly, so we put another one on and everything was fine. Most strange

Well, I put the old E string back on and normal service has been resumed. No dead spots and sustain and tone back, so I guess it was a duff string. The only problem is that my E string is now barely fatter than the A string, so I think I'll be putting all the old ones back on for now, at least till I get something else to try out (half rounds?). I've got a 30 year old Selmer flat wound E string somewhere - I might put that on for a laugh and see what I think to that.

As it happens, just before I took it off I played it un-ampliflied and on the 'duff' string there was definitely a light buzz/rattle (not a fret buzz) as if something was loose inside.

Are Elites known for poor quality, or was I just unlucky?

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts folks.

Clive.

Edited by Clive Thorne