Why become a member? ×

Left handed basses - does anyone ever need two?

AndyBass

I'm currently the very happy owner of a lefty Strunal 50/4 (this fella here [url="http://www.doublebasschat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13516"]http://www.doublebasschat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13516[/url]) which I have set up with 50/50 Golden slaps and Rockabillys.

Increasingly I'm struggling to get all the characteristics of sounds I want for the various styles I play with one set up, so I'm considering getting another bass. (Did that sound plausible? I've rehearsed that a lot to convince others and myself that I don't just want another because two basses would be twice as badass)

Plan would be to re-string the 50/4 with steels of some kind for arco and "boomier" bluegrass playing, and get myself another set up for amped-up slap. Got my eye on one of Thomas' Duke basses as they did a run of lefties a bit back.

My concern is the apparent madness of buying not one quite individually-styled left-handed bass, but two, and therefore having a fair chunk of cash tied up in an asset that realistically would be a nightmare to sell. Essentially I'm thinking it would be like buying a house you were perfectly happy to live in for now, but knowing you could never, ever sell it!

So, am I crazy wanting two, should I just get a different string setup? Or should I play it safe and get the cheapest Thomann/Gedo lefty with steels and minimise the investment? Anyone ever heard of someone successfully selling a second hand lefty bass?

Perspectives from you learned folk are much appreciated! As dilemmas go, its not the worst...

Since I seem to gather that you do a lot of gigging in different styles, I would go for a second bass if you can afford it and have the space. After all, the number of lefty electric bassists and upright/double bassists is slowly increasing, now that we are no longer seen as spawn of the devil or sumfink... :rolleyes: It's a matter of ordering a bass and waiting, as opposed to walking into a shop and grabbing one, but at least you're usually no longer met with a scornful laugh and a head-shake.
You may well be able to sell on your spare bass - if one day either becomes surplus to requirements - to a younger musician. Or even to me, if I ever manage to move into a bigger flat! :lol:

Edited by bluejay

I'm thinking of trying to find some flexier steels on my Strunal anyway because we might be busking outdoors a bit if the sun ever appears and I just don't get the volume from my Innovations, but would still want to slap it a bit. Don't suppose you've come across anything that fits the bill, Dave?

The "second bass" idea is a bit of a thought for the future really, I'd need to get the money up and I'm just wrangling with whether or not its a worthwhile aim, given the difficulty retailers seem to have selling left handed stock let alone selling it on used. Maybe switch strings first and see...

Good to know there are other lefties about as well! I hear you on the space limitations, if anything besides economic sense stops me expanding to more basses, it'll probably be that. But where there's a will...

I bought a second bass for that reason. I wanted something I could string with steels that would sound fairly modern for recording and pop stuff, and another bass I could string with gut-a-likes for busking and trad stuff.

It's worked out pretty well so far. The only down side is I've now got two basses I'm always thinking about upgrading instead of just one...