Why become a member? ×

Orange Ibanez sr300 GAS - how much could I get for old Yamaha rbx5?

Greggo

When I decided I wanted a new bass about a year ago, I wish I had done more research rather than going in to a guitar shop and putting down a deposit on a Vintage musicman copy which was first nice looks looking bass I saw.

Although I've got this bass sounding better now thanks to a preamp upgrade and have set the guitar up how I like, when I have read threads about the Ibanez SR range it particular the lovely looking orange Sr300 I now am gassing for this model. Listening to clips on you tube it sounds lovely and has a lot of tones built in.

Does anyone know how much I could get for am original Yamaha RBX5 from early nineties? Can hardly find anything about these basses only the newer models!

If I can get a good price certainly think I may fund my GAS!!

I haven't seen many of the RBX5's around on the second hand market to be honest.
I think I managed to sell my RBX550 and RBX800 for about £200 each but it depends on what condition your bass is in.
If it was me, I'd keep the RBX5 and save for the SR300.
There are some Yamaha fans on these boards so you could always put an ad for it here.

Yeah that may be a plan.

Its a bass I acquired over 10 years ago and not seen any info about them, other than a very few ads that pop up that say there were made in Taiwan in the 90's.The condition is fair, its got 20 odd years worth of little knocks but nothing major.

The truss rod needs adjusting though as there is a considerable bow to the neck even with 50 - 110 strings on. The adjustment isnt an allen key like most basses but some kind of socket screw down where the neck meets the body. Dont suppose anyone with an old Yammy knows what tool is needed for this adjustment?

I have an Ibanez SR300. And although some people disagree with me is the most complete Bass I've ever owned.
I have played higher priced basses that the SR puts to shame. but it all depends on what you are looking for in a bass.

The SR suits me perfectly the right weight, body size, tone, neck width well just about everything. But you may be different. best thing to do is go into a PMT as they usually have them in stock & have a play. I did it the other way round, I stumbled over one & picked it up not thinking it would be for me & after an hour I still could bring myself to put it down lol

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1367924591' post='2071006']
Yeah that may be a plan.

Its a bass I acquired over 10 years ago and not seen any info about them, other than a very few ads that pop up that say there were made in Taiwan in the 90's.The condition is fair, its got 20 odd years worth of little knocks but nothing major.

The truss rod needs adjusting though as there is a considerable bow to the neck even with 50 - 110 strings on. The adjustment isnt an allen key like most basses but some kind of socket screw down where the neck meets the body. Dont suppose anyone with an old Yammy knows what tool is needed for this adjustment?
[/quote]

I had to buy a socket set specifically for adjusting the action on my old Yamaha RBX bass, I'll have a look tomorrow and see what the sizes are as the end of the truss rod is recessed into the neck and quite tricky to access.

This was the socket set I bought for my RBX 550 bass, Homebase sell it for a tenner and it's decent quality.

[url="http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=525857"]http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=525857[/url]

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1368368301' post='2076143']
This was the socket set I bought for my RBX 550 bass, Homebase sell it for a tenner and it's decent quality.

[url="http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=525857"]http://www.homebase....rtNumber=525857[/url]
[/quote]

Nice one for that!

I work near a homebase so will see if they stock that in.