Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help, can't find a jazz band! (Scene is really dry, any ideas?)

SevenSeas

Hey Bass Chat,
` I'm extremely stuck because I can't find/join a jazz trio, I play in four different bands and am fortunate enough to be gigging regularly, but still can't seem to find anything on the jazz front. I would really like to apply to a conservatoire next year to study jazz but just can't get the practice in because I can't find musicians to practice the repertoire with. (Therefore I would lack the experience)

Anyone got any ideas where I can find musicians with the same interest? I live just outside of Exeter, Devon.

It can be a challenge just finding local musicians that play something that isn't metal or indie. Best places to try are Joinmyband.co.uk, Bandmix.co.uk & Gumtree.

I was searching for ages for Acid Jazz/Breakbeat musicians. I've ended up with a metal guitarist & another guitarist who's taken up drums (& is now the drummer), a house DJ to play decks & sing & another guitarist to share the vocal duties & play some keys.
Man, it's hard work. But I'm sending them facebook messages with youtube videos for stuff like Incognito, Miloopa, Jamiroquai, Groove Armada & so on to get them listening to what they've offered to play (what we end up with may well be completely different, but it'll be fun).

So you might have to find a couple of musicians who aren't Jazzcats & teach them what they're missing.

Maybe check with some of your existing band members & see if any are interested in the Jazz side. Drummers usually are (let them hear some JoJo Mayer & see how things go).

Good luck with it.

Edited by xgsjx