Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Valve amp repairs/service

Pow_22

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]How expensive have valve amp techs gone recently! The last time I used one was around 2 years ago when a full service of my Sound City 120 including 4 EL34’s, few solder points, new jack socket and a few caps replaced was £160 with renowned local tech Dave Lunt.[/font][/color][/size]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]However, trying to get some prices for my WEM Dominator to have a re-cap, new power valves (which I already have and will supply) and a general service and the few ive had back say their standard charge for a service is £100-£130 and im not sure that even includes parts!!!! The amp works fine despite its tatty appearance but is a bit crackly. Given its from 1963 – and im pretty sure all original – id like new power valves for peace of mind (plus the spares I have are a tested and match pair of Brimars vs the current no-name ones) and caps so I don’t have one ‘blow its load’ all over my innards (oooooh matron!)[/font][/color][/size]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Am I just being a bit of a skin-flint or should I rightly be a bit shocked? So far ive contacted 3 local techs (one of which is apparently no longer that local), should I keep looking o just accept that to whack 2 new valves in, caps and a service is going to cost me probably about what the amp is worth?[/font][/color][/size]

Good evening, Pow...

Try this bloke for recommendations if you're serious about your amp; he's one of the experts, and can point you to the right technician...

[url="http://www.amp-fix.com/Contacts.htm"]http://www.amp-fix.com/Contacts.htm[/url]

...hope this helps.