Why become a member? ×

Moving too fast? Or am I being negative.

Prime_BASS

We've recently been lucky with gigs, we've had a few good shows at popular stages, and have more coming up along with a 3 track EP we got to record for free.

Now usually the singer gets these shows out of blue and today we exchanged messages about an EP launch at a popular rescue rooms venue.

Now he wants to do it at the end of the month, but we also have a big show booked to support at the end of may.

Now this wouldnt be a problem if we were selling out a standard small venue but we struggled to buggary to sell 40 tickets at one show and it was the first in a while for us.

Also in my eyes the EP is far off, and i personally want to give it out for free, as downloads or on CDs

I dont want to come across as mardy with him as his heart is in the right place, but I don't think he is seeing it properly.

It's a tricky one, there doesn't seem to be aright or wrong way of doing it, what ever works and is most effective. People tend to get paid at the end of the month so doing an EP launch then is probably a good idea. However, if you're struggling to sell 40 tickets then it might be an idea to hold onto the EP for a little while and build up a fan base a little more first. Get a 'single' sent to all the local and regional radio stations and see where it goes, get in touch with the local press and any magazines to do a band/track review.

Ultimately, it's where you want to go with it all. In my band, we'd like to get a record contract and a tour at some point. If you think the EP is too far off, tell them all. But do it constructively, something like "The EP is great, however, it's not quite up to standard of selling. Lets perhaps look at giving this one away as a free download to increase our fanbase and work towards getting a profesional EP to sell." By giving it away you lower your immediate outgoings. Our first EP cost us £900 for four tracks just in studio time, you then have the duplication and of course the printing of the sleeves/cases, so it adds up very quickly. And we sell them at £3 a copy.

Don't forget, there are many ways of doing this, this is just one. It sounds like you're not doing too badly anyway with these good slots the band is getting. Keep going with it, and you never know!

I'd love to hear what other people have to say, as my band are looking for ways to push forward, especially management.

Dan

No, launch parties are nearly always tragic. Spend another year giving away your music, build a local fanbase and then have a party to celebrate how well you're doing and to reward your fans for getting involved with your band.

A launch party gig should always comprise of about 80% new music. Get gigging, build your back-catalog, get an album recorded under your own steam and then release it properly. An EP launch does nothing for anybody. By all means arrange a party for your fans, but don't dress it up as anything other than that!

Truckstop