Why become a member? ×

Philosophy valve amps

JamesBass

Think they were covered on TB. Basically a ton of marketing BS on a mediocre and poorly designed amp. Just the knobs sticking out like that is asking for a knocking off. You can see a pic on the site showing a totally amateur wiring job inside. Looks like a kit job someone did as their first project.

Anywhere that can come up with statements like this gets a dissmissing right away
[quote]Our patented[b] Mustard Mallory Caps[/b] and superb [b]Carbon Comp Resistors [/b] give our amps unique technical features that enhance your playing style.[/quote]

Unique technical features that 90% of the amps in my house have, mustard caps and carbon comps. And the ones without carbon comps, are because I took out the carbon comps and replaced with resistors that aren't really bad, high thermal noise and degrade over time/exposure to moisture.

Edit: the more I go through the site the more facepalming ignorance of electronics I see. Literally no technical specs in the technical specs section. 'All tube circuitry' except for the parts of it that are solid state (no rectifier tubes mentioned anywhere). Also pretending they are the only place making amps by hand not in China.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are there not some places where you definitely should not use carbon comp resistors, e.g. in the power supply where they could burst into flames? *immediately regrets venturing into technical area beyond own expertise*

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1366360440' post='2051365']
James, if you're looking for sexy valve sound, you should PM Mr. Foxen (Oli) and see what he's got lying around for sale!

Oli's a great tech too and all of his amps are practically guaranteed to be in the best condition possible.

Alex
[/quote]

I'm kind of a bodger still learning my way around. More of a case of 'much more work done than is strictly necessary', than best condition, everything I have tends to start out looking well scruffy, and never been fussed about cosmetics on the outside.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1366360617' post='2051368']
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are there not some places where you definitely should not use carbon comp resistors, e.g. in the power supply where they could burst into flames? *immediately regrets venturing into technical area beyond own expertise*
[/quote]

Some places include 'in audio amplifiers'. Probably 'in electrical equipment running at any significant power or voltage you want to operate correctly for a long time'. The do burn up real nice, they are effectively cylindrical charcoal briquettes.

They deleted most of the thread on they started on TB where we asked questions and challenged some of their claims. Then they started a new one in the commercial section, and haven't answered when I asked how you control the mids on their tone stack, it's not very clear. Radio silence.

Even if it was the best sounding tube amp in the world you'd have to be nuts to gig it. It looks like it was designed to be put in a penthouse apartment to brag about or at a stretch in a studio rather than real life use by a gigging bassist.

Fender Super Bassman or 100T, Ampeg SVT, Morgan, new Mesa Prodigy and Strategy, Reeves, Matamp, etc, so many current great all tube designs with various features and specs, not to mention all the great vintage designs around, you'd be nuts to take a punt on an uncommunicative and amateurish company that doesn't seem to have any USP or particular leg up on the competition, IMO. I'm all for new companies trying to make it but these guys have to be aware it's not 1970 and you can't just make claims without backing them up anymore.

Cheers for the replies guys, I'm in the really early stages of beginning to look for an amp, have come across many Valve amps, but am feeling fairly fussy and would HAVE to try before I buy, especially as I'm an unemployed student but I can look and dream ;) Cheers again guys, helpful point in the right direction there