Why become a member? ×

6 string m***er!

MiltyG565

6 strings, yes, the BAD kind of 6 strings, not the bass kind ;)

So during my little break at my uncle's, he was impressed with my knowledge of guitars and basses (probably because his knowledge is practically zero) and declared that he had an old electric guitar that he bought in the 80's, and told me to take it, because he's not an electric guitar play (just acoustic), and I could fix it up and get it going again. It had been siting in his garage for a long time, probably since he moved in to that house in 2001.

So he went out, and produced me with this-

This picture gives you not much idea of the condition that this guitar is in. Basically, it's a Satellite Les Paul copy, presumably made in Japan in the 80's. The body is made from plywood, and I have no idea what the neck is made from, because it is painted. The finish on the body has sunk into the grain of the wood, and the scratchplate is cracked where it's screwed on. The output jack is missing, but the electrics all look pretty intact apart from that. A screw on the top strap button needs replaced. Apart form that, everything there is pretty OK, the bridge and tailpiece work alright, the "hum buckers" are the typical single coils in a humbucker casing job, but not to worry, I quite prefer single coils :D

Oh yeah, the little knob is missing from the pickup selector too :rolleyes:

The neck is straight, and not warped or bowed, but it does look like the fretboard has swollen up a bit, so i'm keeping it my room to see if it dries out a little. It was covered in dust, which I promptly cleaned off, to find the fretboard looks alright. some of the frets needs recrowned, but that's the worst it gets there really.

I would like to replace all the tuners with some decent ones.

All being well, I could have a decent little guitar for not a lot of money. My dad was telling me that T-cut might bring the finish up if it's not cellulose. So i'm going to get the T-cut out and see if it will polish up.

More photos and info to follow at a later date :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1366049017' post='2047745']
How is m***er a bad word? HOW!?
[/quote]

What bad word..?

MADDER
MANNER
MASHER
MATEER
MATTER
MAHLER
MAILER
MARKER
MARNER
MASTER
MEAGER
MEANER
MEEKER
MEELER
MEETER
MENDER
MERCER
MESSER
MOTHER

...one of these..? Give us a clue...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1367021278' post='2060487']
The mods have noticed.

Please move any breakables from the vicinity of your windows as we will be swinging through them on ropes shortly.

Thankyou for your cooperation... :ph34r:
[/quote]

ahfackin'ell, it's da rozzas! LEG IT!

• 3 months later...

Rise... RISE, you old thread. I resurrect you from the dead!

And here's why - I always had intended to fix up this old guitar, but I never really had any need, so I never really did anything with it. But now I'm in the running to win a brand new Gould Les Paul, and I've decided that if I win it, it would be senseless for me to have 2 Les Pauls, so I'll do up the old one, and donate it to my old school. It's not worth a lot, and I'll learn a bit about fretwork, and they need the resources, so everyone's a winner (except the 3 other entrants into the competition...).

Now, for me to win the competition, you need to help me. Click this link, and vote for me, number 3, than your work is done. The comp closes on Wednesday night, and I would like to win, for a lot of reason (some listed above), and I know you want to help me, so help me :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=299389053538274&set=a.137135916430256.40392.123954487748399&type=1&theater&notif_t=photo_comment_tagged

Thanks! Expect an update on this guitar thread soon! :)

Hey guys, the competition is closing in about 70 minutes, so if you want to vote, you best be quick! I want to give myself the best chance of winning. It would be so cool if I win, and you'd also be helping out a very underfunded school if I win, so what's not to like about that?