Why become a member? ×

Planet Waves Gripmaster

Hello_Dave

[quote name='MB1' post='22697' date='Jun 24 2007, 05:55 PM']MB1. :)

F**k The bass, lets all play gripmasters, and change the forum to gripmasterchat. If the gripmaster doesnt work for you HELLO DAVE , you can always sell it on ebay.right im off to learn Baba o riley on my gripmaster.

MB1.[/quote]

I've got a mate who's a wicked gripmaster player, he can play two at once. He's got the gripskillz fo sho!

I’ve been playing bass for longer than I care to remember, but only bought a Gripmaster last year. There were 2 reasons. Firstly, last November I badly injured a joint in the first finger of my fretting hand by gardening (there’s a lesson here for sure). Following this, I wanted to use some regular exercise an aid to restore mobility and strength in my hand and I’ve found the Gripmaster has really helped.

The second reason is that, being a family bloke in my 40’s I don’t have the time to pick up my bass every day, so the Gripmaster is spot-on when I’m just sitting with my wife/kids whereas me disappearing into the other room with my bass for an hour every night would not be conducive to marital harmony!!

I totally agree that hand strength alone does not make you a better player, but it helps. Manual dexterity is important too, so the other thing I work on which has also helped immensely is using Chinese chime balls (keep it clean please, people!) after I saw these recommended in a recent issue of “Guitar & Bass” magazine. Again; I wouldn’t need these if I had the luxury of time to play my bass most days, but I find these 2 forms of non-bass exercise really help prevent me from getting too rusty between the occasions (most weekends) when I can, at last, pick up a bass.