Why become a member? ×

Cleaning toggle switches

untune

Not strictly bass related in this case but it may apply too - I have an EQ unit that was hand built and it uses a metal toggle switch, just as you'd get in a guitar or bass, for the bypass. It's mounted on a front panel and so it's a bit awkward to get behind it, and there are six or more wires going to it. I noticed when testing it out that bypassing was working oddly - in the up position (bypassed) then it was bypassing everything except the low cut control, so the signal was still being rolled off and the rest of the controls were ignored appropriately. I thought at first this was a wiring issue and after cleaning a couple of scratchy pots with switch cleaner and doing more testing, I noticed that wiggling the switch just right caused it to bypass properly. Wondering if it might just need a clean but is there any way to actually clean the internals of a toggle switch? I want to avoid having to re-solder anything if possible! I've searched around and people have mentioned using a business card or dollar bill but i can't work out exactly what they're getting at - they seem to be sealed from what I can see. The components in this particular EQ are all UK/German made so I wouldn't expect it to be a dodgy one

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1365611840' post='2041819']
Sounds to me like it needs a new switch .full stop. If you want it to be reliable :happy:
[/quote]

+1

The chances of being able to get enough switch cleaner inside a sealed toggle switch to make a difference are minimal.

The business card trick only works on the 'open' or 'skeleton' type switches that you find used as pickup selectors in guitars.