Why become a member? ×

Anyone figure out what bass this is ?

far0n

Pretty sure it's a PRS Bass IV like the one [url="http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-3594.htm"]here[/url], except that it's black and has the PRS "seagull" inlays. It's 2 pickups + a dummy noise-cancelling coil ([i]a la[/i] Alembic).

Michael Manring played a PRS for years before he got in to Zon's graphite necks.

Edited by bnt

Oh dear, why dont you just slap me in the face?

Not a success? Try finding one second hand.. :)

Its a PRS 4 made between '88 and '91. One of the original 'set neck' variants. (same as the one Robbie plays!) The 'birds in flight" inlays are not "seaguls" they are in fact 9 different birds.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Paul-Reed-Smith-1986-4-String-Bass-40-White-EXCELLENT_W0QQitemZ170143924278QQihZ007QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247"]http://cgi.ebay.com/Paul-Reed-Smith-1986-4...Q2em118Q2el1247[/url]

Paul later made the bolt on neck PRS IV EB of which I have 2 (made between 2000+ 2004).

They were a success, believe me! Ask anyone who owns one!

There are not alot around because

i) they are expensive

ii) PRS has only made 1500 basses IN TOTAL

FYI the guitarist is playing a custom 22.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='208264' date='May 28 2008, 06:32 PM']Oh dear, why dont you just slap me in the face?
The 'birds in flight" inlays are not "seaguls" they are in fact 9 different birds.[/quote]
SORRY! Is one of the birds an Albatross, and does it come with wafers?

Edited by bnt

Don't be stupid its F+++ing albatross flavour..... :)

"Eeeezzzyy missdaker to maaker" ....

Unless you have PRSs or know about them you wouldnt know that.... :huh:

Surprisingly few folks know much if not anything about PRS basses. Most guitarists (even those with PRS 6 stringers) didnt know PRS even made them.

In fact they still do make basses from the 'Private collection' I made a tentative enquiry about a Grainger V bass, "put down a $6000 deposit and you can order one" I was told.

I almost bought one around 1990 but it was way too expensive (for my budget) at the time.

Btw; if you happen to come to the Baltimore/ DC area you can call and arrange a tour of the PRS factory. It’s a bit of a haul across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, but you can make a day of it and enjoy some blue crabs while you’re on the eastern shore.

MM