Why become a member? ×

Steinberger strap extension help please

alyctes

hi

I've acquired a Tele-style bass from Retrovibe, and (predictably) it has a touch of neck-dive. I'm wondering how the strap extension seen on Steinberger Synapse basses works, and how it's attached, and whether it would be worth trying to source one or make myself a knockoff.

All advice gratefully received :)

Thanks

Mike

(edit for typo.)

Edited by alyctes

I had a Synapse a few years ago, and it was just a piece of metal screwed securely into the body at one end, and with a hook at the other end that you hooked your strap onto. Simple enough, and it did work, but it always felt slightly unstable to me. How about a small bag of lead weights hung from the strap button at the bridge end? Cheaper than $39.99 plus shipping and duty from the States for a bit of tungsten steel!

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1365532698' post='2040861']
I had a Synapse a few years ago, and it was just a piece of metal screwed securely into the body at one end, and with a hook at the other end that you hooked your strap onto. Simple enough, and it did work, but it always felt slightly unstable to me. How about a small bag of lead weights hung from the strap button at the bridge end? Cheaper than $39.99 plus shipping and duty from the States for a bit of tungsten steel!
[/quote]

Thank you. I guessed as much but was never sure.

I've wondered about the use of a perspex plate to add mass to the body. Attached to back of body using cover-plate screw and an extended neck screw; should add mass invisibly and reversibly, and without altering the feel of the bass much. Obviously this would work only for flat-backed bodies. I did buy a slab of plastic (when I bought mcnach's Shine ASAT-alike) but never got round to shaping and fitting it.

Edited by alyctes