Why become a member? ×

Need advice with custom '62 Concentric wiring

DanEly

Okay, here's my idea for my jazz..

Two stacked concentric pots (like on the'62), plus two mini/micro switches to turn the pickups on or off? - Why not do it with a 3 way toggle? Because I want two separate ones.. almost like a Rickenbacker without the stereo and a different pickup selection method

Now what I'm trying to get my head round is how do I wire this all up?

Do I still need the cap on the pot or can I do with out that?

What type of switches will I need? on-on or on-off?

Is it even possible?

Its possible, but personally I wouldn't like this setup as it would be very easy to turn the bass off. It's one thing selecting the wrong pickup in a hurry, but turning the bass off completely mid song is liable to cause panic.

However, basically you need a two position switch for each pickup, then go to the volume and tone controls in the normal way.
in one position you complete the circuit, in the other position you don't. You can use either on-on or on-off for this, but the second 'on' (of an on-on switch) is wired to nothing so effectively becomes 'off' anyway - it just makes picking the right size switch easier.

Yes you need the capacitor, otherwise the tone control becomes useless.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1365427259' post='2039380']
Its possible, but personally I wouldn't like this setup as it would be very easy to turn the bass off. It's one thing selecting the wrong pickup in a hurry, but turning the bass off completely mid song is liable to cause panic.

However, basically you need a two position switch for each pickup, then go to the volume and tone controls in the normal way.
in one position you complete the circuit, in the other position you don't. You can use either on-on or on-off for this, but the second 'on' (of an on-on switch) is wired to nothing so effectively becomes 'off' anyway - it just makes picking the right size switch easier.

Yes you need the capacitor, otherwise the tone control becomes useless.
[/quote]

Cheers for the reply. Think I've got my head round most of this now. Does any one know where I can get a loaded '62 plate?

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1365428571' post='2039415']
Does any one know where I can get a loaded '62 plate?
[/quote]

Hello - is it me you're looking for? B) I can do a fully loaded '62 plate with or without switches as you wish - PM me if interested.

Cheerz, John