Why become a member? ×

Hello from Poland

Bass-Driver

Hi all,

I've finally decided to register... And I know I'm not the first Pole here ;)

My name's Jarek, I've been playing the bass for 18 years, which is over half of my life... I live in Warsaw - as some of you may probably know, it's a capital of a beautiful but neglected country called Poland. I've recorded several albums but somehow always failed to get sufficient income out of playing to make music my main occupation so - since I "didn't need no education" (which means dropping out of uni) - I always had to do menial jobs that would enable me to keep myself alive AND have some spare time to spank my basses. Now I'm "self-employed" and provide my services as User Care Support to a rapidly growing Polish social media website for proffessionals, which is quite a nice (even if a bit underpaid) job, actually.

I've been playing a wide variety of music throughout my "career" (inverted comas are meant to be there ;) ) - from hard rock through gothic rock and prog-rock to neofolk and shanties. Actually, I still play the last genre (along with some folk-rock and Polish rock covers) with my cover band (which is also the only band I've ever made regular money with). My main band is called Night Rider - what we play is essentially hard rock with a dash of Marillion and Dream Theater-inspired prog rock. We've just recorded (and released) our debut album :D

My main bass is an Alembic Essence 5, bought 2nd hand several years ago - it's my ultimate bass I intend to keep forever. I also have a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz (which I like a lot), an '84 Ibanez Roadstar II fretless (which I like) and a Malinek fretless 5-string (which I used to like). I plug into a Carvin R600 head and pump air using an SWR Henry the 8x8 (with Night Rider) or a DMNF 1x15 (with WZM - the shanties/folk/cover band).

That's about it ;)