Why become a member? ×

Theatre work - Jekyll and Hyde doubling question

dodge_bass

So,

Doing Jekyll and Hyde next week in the theatre. First doubling gig I've done in a theatre.

Looking at the score its actually really unclear where a lot of the changes b/w instruments are and even between arco / pizz in sections.

Does anyone have any experience of this show? Am I to assume that it resets itself to double bass for each new number unless specified?

There are sections where is says 'electric bass', then a few lines later says 'electric bass' again...as if I should have been playing some double bass b/w those two sections despite there being no indication to do so.

And tunes where it suddenly says arco (or pizz) despite there having been no indication that previously it should have been the other?

Either I'm being an idiot or its been really bad scored out (NOT unusual I might add for theatre scores - I've had to read / interpret a lot of rubbish over the years).

I'm assuming in true classical tradition everything should be arco and on the upright unless specified otherwise but it'd be nice to get confirmation?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

Whenever i have come across anything like that [or i am unsure about] during the rehearsals i always talk it over with the MD
or Musical supervisor.....
They usually say 'Do what you want, i am to busy with the cast' :lol:

Not done that show - what about getting hold of the cast CD and having a listen ?
It would give you a better idea if things get confusing.

Good luck with the show.

Garry