Why become a member? ×

ashdown ctm100

bennymalta

Am really interested in this new head from ashdown, the ctm 100. My biggest concern is its loudness.

A couple of weeks ago I tried the orange AD200 and I loved the amp, and it was pretty (extremely) loud. Problem is that it is a bit more expensive than the ctm 100 (about 450 euros difference).

So now I'm leaning onto the 100 watter head from ashdown but I'm afraid that its a weak head.

Will there be a big difference in loudness between the ad200 and the ctm100. I can't really understand how valve amp power rating or things like this work, for example will the ctm 100 be louder than a 500 watt solid state amp?

Anyway but I can understand that when it comes to all tube amplifiers the speaker cabinet makes a huge difference - Im planning to hook the ctm 100 up to an ampeg svt 410 hlf (500 watts @4 ohms).

Don't know if anyone here is using a ctm100 or anyone has ever tried one but is this amp loud (meaning that master and gain almost full would bring down walls)? do you get a nice clean headroom or does it get dirty real quickly (even more than the orange)?

Sorry for all the questions but I do appreciate if anyone can help me out.

thanks!!

Ben

The answer is to try one (easier said than done, I know). Back in the day I used an Orange OD120 for bass and it was more than adequate for gigging - this with a rock drummer, keyboards and guitar/vocals.

I know there are plenty of experts on here who will say otherwise, but in my experience valve watts are much louder than SS watts. Or at least it certainly seems that way. :)

The AD200 benches at 160w, so the power difference is probably not that great, assuming Ashdown are bit more straight up about how numbers in their models stack up to power ratings (not a massive leap of faith). Is the HLF the really low tuned cab? If so, probably not to suited to valve amps, much better choices out there.