Why become a member? ×

Desk Aux Pre Switch question...

Walker

Quick question...

If I wanted to send the FOH mix to Aux 2 so I can tweak the mix from my playing position (via my IEM mixer / headphone amp), should I have Aux 2 Pre Switch off and all the Aux 2 controls set to same levels?

I've got a Yammy MG desk.

Thanks very much.

Chris

If you are using IEMs, you would want to be pre and do a mix using the aux2s on each channel. The aux output sums to a single mono source so if you are using an IEM mixer, you are pretty much using it as a headphone amp exclusively. If you put a FOH to your ears, it's likely to not sound as good as you run a mix tailored for you - a monitor mix is generally "you" heavy... and that's a good thing.

I understand what you are saying, but I want to monitor FOH mix so I can poke the keys player when he forgets to turn down at the end of his solos! And because we dont have a sound guy, I like to monitor the FOH mix to make sure nothing has dropped out (we have several acoustic instruments and they can be a pain in the ass).

I have a feed from my bass pre running into the IEM mixer so I can turn 'me' up independently of the FOH mix.

In which case, tell the keyboard to pay attention to what he's meant to be doing!

The easiest way of doing this is to plug the headphones straight into the desk. The headphone feed will give you the mix going to FOH. Obviously, this isn't ideal, but you could use the rec outputs to give you the line levels that you really want.

Hi Walker.
Seems to me that what you want to do isn't practical.
IE using an aux to monitor FOH.
As EBS states you could simply monitor from the headphones out which would give you some idea as to the mix, but would be completely out regardingEQ and FX as your phones will be totally different to FOH, and Reverbs etc always sound much louder in headphones than they do in a room.
As to watching for things dropping out, you would notice that on a dedicated aux mix also so long as the line you were watching wasn't mixed too low to start with and if all you are really concerned with is your keys players inability to turn down after solos, perhaps some form of level adjustment (smack across the head) might be preferable?

To anybody reading this thread, using IEMs off an aux without a limiter is a pretty daft thing to do. First bit of feedback or peak and that could be your hearing damaged for life. The OP doesn't say what he's using but I'm hoping he's using a proper IEM pack with a limiter built in... better is using an IEM system with a proper dedicated brickwall limiter in your IEM signal chain.

Thanks for giving this your consideration gents. I'll take your advice and run my own mix on Aux 2 and maybe use some sort of mild electrocution system to control keys.

If anyone's interested, I have that Adaptear taped to a FiiO E11 headphone amp, so I have a wonderful hifi (wired) bodypack for £150. That drives my Westone UM1's perfectly.

IEM on a budget!