Why become a member? ×

Gospel Bass Players

molan

So there I was scrawling around Basschat on Sunday night (ironically vaguely appropriate!) with the TV playing in the background & nothing much on. Switched channels to BET and up came the Bobby Jones Gospel show. Not normally my cup of rosy but I thought what the heck, it's music, let's give it a try.

First act up was the "legendary" Rance Allen Group - that guy could sure wail. Nice sound on the broadcast, really well mixed kick drum and keys forcing the song along. Bass not that exciting but the overall rhythm section playing underneath the soaring vocals was just great. Really good harmonies from the two male backing singers as well.

Went out and did some exploring and there's some really excellent musicianship out there in the USA playing on late night. Andrew Gouche seems to be one of the main men for gospel bass from what I can see. As a fairly devout atheist I've never really bothered with gospel before but determined to "open my ears" a little wider and check some of these guys out!

Any recommendations anyone?

Ok generalisations here but does it seem that the US has a good grasp on making good players?
Like theres all these awsome musicians in different genres who are technacclly great. In the UK we dont seem to have such a great focus on musicianship or if we do it is in quite small circles, like the Jazz circle.
if that makes sense?