Why become a member? ×

first eub keep tipping the stand over

jailbait

First eub ns nxt 4, this maybe be a silly question but here goes anyway. everything I read about upright bass say in stead of gripping the neck with your fingers most of the pressure to press the strings down comes from your shoulder,
now unless I stand with one feet on the front of the stand this is impossible to do. So how are you meant to do it?

Although some DB techniques are applicable to an EUB, not all of them are - particularly, as you've discovered already, when you're using it on the stand.

I position it so that one leg of the stand points forward and get myself into a comfortable playing position, left foot behind the stand and right foot to the side of it.

If I'm playing something requiring a degree of intricacy and precision I move close to the stand so the neck is resting against the left hand side of my body.
It keeps everything mechanically rigid and leaves your left arm relaxed.

For 'standard' playing I move out slightly and rely on the stand to support the EUB.

I'm an NS user as well. :)

There is an [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ns_design_eps.htm"]Endpin Stand[/url] available, a bit pricy imo but they do come up on ebay occasionally. Trouble is, if you get one of those you then have to figure a way of supporting the instrument when its not in use :rolleyes: (another ninety quid for a [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_14160_electric_upright_stand.htm"]K&M Stand?[/url] ) :o

Thanks for the replies, not so good on the having to grip see I'm starting to get raynauds in hands so thought the less extreme angels and method of db would keep me playing for a while longer.

Oh yes they know how to charge. I see a few problems with the end pin design 1 you could be taking all the weight of the bass on your thumb 2 hip bracket your moving that pivot point higher. So was looking more towards the frame strap but even then all the pictures I've seen have it positioned fairly high and not low enough to be able to reach all the neck.

Edited by and large happy with the bass the Czech build quality is very good tone is a little quiet but passable for an upright
the plugs is positioned stupidly so even on a stand ya gotta use a 90 degree jack.

Edited by jailbait