Why become a member? ×

New Guitar Day

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='waldflote8' timestamp='1368706207' post='2080381']
Oh o, trouble ahead for me then maybe :blink: I ended up stripping the organoil finish from the body of my parana build, so is back to bare now. Thanks for the info. any suggestions for a good tung oil in the UK ?

haha, it was a conversation with a mate about using loads of coats of lacquer and it being like putting the guitar in a contraceptive which led to the organoil experiment.

I had made a nut from an old ebony piano sharp too but he persuaded me to use a brass nut. Be interested to hear how it sounds if anyone has tried an ebony one.

cheers
[/quote]

Sorry i missed this reply!!

Haha i totally agree about the lacquer thing!! It has to make a difference! Usually guitars are painted to cover up the poor quality of wood used to make them!

I'd love to see some pics of your work when it's done mate!

Ebony nuts are our next experiment! We have tons of fingerboard offcuts so we may as well try them :) i have a feeling they'll be very good!!

:)

Hope you're having a great bank holiday weekend!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

[attachment=136365:parana prster neck.jpg]

I applied a coat of pure tung oil (had plenty of drying time available),.. the parana is quite dry and soaked it up but the rosewood (which already had 2 coats of organoil ) really seems to like it :)

thanks very much,...I've learned few things the hard way regards finishing with tung oil. Currently at coat 5 and the neck is beginning to look more like the picture permanently (rather than just when wet) Body is still very dry - but the neck did have a head start. First coat I didn't wipe it down well enough and it was still wet almost 2 days later. I find that the rags don't seem to dry out either,.. despite laying them nice and flat to avoid spontaneous combustion,.. sounds rather nasty that one :)

Thanks folks. I'll start a new thread when I get the finish a bit more 'finished' :),.. feel like I'm hijacking this thread - sorry Chris.

It was actually a rosewood strat neck for a mate which got me started again - will do a couple of new threads when I get home and can post some pics.

cheers..