Why become a member? ×

Elites Stadium Series

Dingus

Has anybody else noticed that stainless steel Elites don't seem to be as good as they used to be back in the day ? They used to stay bright for ages , and were a real bargain for the very reasonable money they cost . I started using other strings and then went back to them after a few years and now they seem totally different - they seem to die off really quickly compared to what they used to , and don't sound as good even when they are new .I know GHS used to make them for the Bass Centre , I wonder if that is still the case or if they are now from a different supplier , or else from the same supplier but to an inferior spec . Is it just me or has anybody else noticed it ?

Hmmm, this is interesting - I was thinking about getting a set for my new 'ray. I used to use these as they were the brand my dad settled on, however I remember them tearing my fingers apart compared to the Nickel 'Legacy' strings I use at the moment.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1363548936' post='2014010']
Hmmm, this is interesting - I was thinking about getting a set for my new 'ray. I used to use these as they were the brand my dad settled on, however I remember them tearing my fingers apart compared to the Nickel 'Legacy' strings I use at the moment.
[/quote]
[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1363548936' post='2014010']
[/quote]

I've also got some of the Players series nickel Elites and they seem just the same as they ever were e.g pretty good for the money , and they feel a bit smoother under the fingers , like most nickel strings tend to compared to stainless steel , so maybe you could look at a set of them .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='stinson' timestamp='1363549370' post='2014016']
I've had a couple of standard sets recently and they seem fine, still plenty of life after about 4 months. I do like them when they settle down a bit though.
[/quote]

Maybe it's me - maybe I'm sweating more than I did in the 1990s !

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1363550072' post='2014031']
I've always worried that they might eat my frets, used nickel elites for years though, i like them.
[/quote]

I like the nickel ones too , and they still seem fine and excellent value for money .

Always used elites both stadiums and the mickle. Never had an complaint tbh. Had the odd duff string that string busters have replaced with no issue.

I love them for the feel and the sound. Very bright and with a good balance of mids and lows.

They do take some playing in but I generally get about 4 months out of a set with casual playing.

Just recently switched to a set of Powerbass. Holy moley they are hot strings...

But are they worth 3 times more than elites.??