Why become a member? ×

Spec me a rig!

simondee

Hi all,

Instead of muddling through it all myself, I thought you guys might be able to help me out.

I'm going on a short tour in the first week of june, mostly 100-300 capacity venues. It's also looking like we're playing at the Astoria in June too. eep. At the moment, all I have is:

- my warwick corvette
- a warwick quad iv (the 400w one)
- nothing else (except for a jack lead and lots of enthusiasm)

So I have a week to get my hands on

- a tuner
- a rack
- a cab setup (either 2 x small 8ohm or 1 x 4ohm)
- a backup bass
- 4 sets of strings

things to bear in mind:

- I only have a little car (a new style Mini), so boot space is limited
- the quad iv has speakon and xlr outs only. Has to be run in parallel.
- I don't want to spend a fortune

Any advice would be *enormously* appreciated.

ah…it’s such an individual thing. I love Ampeg so I’d recommend a beefy Ampeg set-up. I reckon you’re going to get 20+ different recommendations so if you’ve only got a week to sort it out then the best thing to do would be to go to a large music shop that have a good range of good bass amps in stock and try them out and buy what you reckon is going to suit your needs most and that sounds best to your ears – there are issues with auditioning amps in shops though. Other than that it could take you months/years to find the perfect rig so if you’re in a rush then settle for the best you can get your hands on in short notice:

Ampeg
Mark Bass
Gallien-Krueger
Trace Elliot
EBS
Genz Benz
Mesa

…there are ones I’ve missed but if you stick to quality manufactures you can’t really go too wrong. It’s a really subjective issue though so only you can judge for yourself.

Personally I use an Ampeg SVT-CL and SVT410-HLF and I think it's the mut's nuts but others will strongly disagree :)

Some idea of budget would be useful. Also how road ready does the gear need to be? Will light ABS cases do or full full cases? Other than that:

Tuner: Boss TU2 or Korg DT10. I dont like telling people what toi buy but these are industry standard.
Rack: Warwick Rockbag or SKB whatever U's you want, or full fightcase for amp. Again industry standard.
Cabs: Whatever you like the sound of - look at Warwick neo's if you want to keep it in the family.
Backup bass: Get another Corvette?
Sting: what do you use? Get some of them!

When you were putting this tour together you should have tapped Warwick up for an endorsement but its a bit late now. Still worth a call to Warwick UK though.

ok, thanks for the response so far, bit more info:

- cab budget is about £500 (so nothing brand new)
- I used to be an Eden guy, so the warwick/eden tone is deffo what I'm into. Heard lots of good things about MarkBass and EBS but have yet to see a setup live.
- Not an Ampeg fan. bit too classic for me. Plus our whole scene uses Ampeg so it would be nice to have something different.
- light ABS cases will totally do the trick since these are all going in the car. we're a way off full flight cases yet!

My EBS 212 in the for sale section here makes a great standalone cab and its 4ohms so you get the full wack from your amp. I use warwick basses with it and get a great growling sound so you should get the tone your after! I'm only selling due to the fact that i prefer my 410 more (even tough it weighs a ton :) )

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20099"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20099[/url]

I also have a 3U case that i can let go for free if you get my cab :huh: Its one of these.
[url="http://www.cpcases.com/product.asp?productid=31&count=1"]http://www.cpcases.com/product.asp?productid=31&count=1[/url]

As for tuner, i use a boss tu-20, great tuner!

Strings wise, use whatever you normally use, or use some warwick red or black labels, great strings!
You could probably pick up a 2nd hand corvette for pretty cheap so try look for one of them!

Jake

Nice, congrats on the tour, and the Astoria it's a good gig there.

I'm assuming most of the gigs will be on the 'toilet circuit' in which case you shouldn't need a massive rig, just enough for stage monitoring, there will be pletny of foldback from the PA.

When I do any of these venues I use exactly the same rig as when I play to 50 people in a pub somewhere, the PA more than makes up for anything else, so don't go spending loads of cash.

A lot of these venues will have their own backline anyway, so you should check with them first as you may get away without taking an amp. :)

[quote name='simondee' post='206537' date='May 26 2008, 01:14 PM']- a backup bass[/quote]

Hi Simon

Maybe a bit OTT for a back up bass but given that you like Warwicks please let me know if interested.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19085"]Warwick Katana 5[/url]

Good luck with the tour!!

Cheers

Stu