Why become a member? ×

Kramer 450b aluminium neck

dangerboy

PRICE DROPPED TO £360

This is one of my stable of aluminium-necked basses. It breaks my heart to sell it, but I never play it, because I'm too scared of hurting it by playing hard with a pick, and scratching the finish.

This is a Kramer 450b. Made in Neptune, New Jersey, USA. Aluminium neck, with wooden (walnut) inserts for warmth and to keep the weight down. Walnut body. Two pickups, described on various sites as humbuckers, but they're actually single coils (I know, because I bought a spare) with pole pieces directly under the strings. Passive.

The finish is really nice. It has a few pock marks, but is pretty enough that, as stated above, I don't want to hurt it.

Everything is original, apart from one machinehead. Three machineheads are the original Schallers, but one is a Gibson (Although it's so similar that I strongly suspect that it's a rebadged Schaller). The speed knobs, and even the aluminium 'bullet' switchtip are there. Both pickup rings are present (which is very rare on a 450b), but one has been cracked and glued during its history. Original neckplate, pickup plates, control cover etc all present and very very shiny.

These were made in the late 70s, and there is a forum dedicated to discussing them at [url="http://www.kramerforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7"]http://www.kramerforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7[/url] . Lots of guys who used to work in the factory in New Jersey making these basses post on there.

I'm after £400 plus postage for this. It will come in a (battered) Hiscox case to make sure that it reaches you in as good condition as it is now. You can meet me in central London and save yourself postage any time you like.

There are a couple of pics to get you started, but I'll be posting loads more.

Edited by dangerboy

[quote name='BigRedX' post='210172' date='May 31 2008, 04:45 PM']If you can tell me the values of the volume and tone pots, and the treble cut and bypass capacitors, so I can restore the much modified electronics on mine to their original state, then you can have a bump on me![/quote]

Will do!

• 3 weeks later...

Or, the right hand half of this rig for a straight swap:

Vortexion 50w valve amp.
Made in Wimbledon in the 1950's. Has 4 jack inputs (think it's 3 guitar and one mic) with individual volume controls and master treble and bass.
Really loud and distorts nicely when you crank it. It has two Mullard EL34's in which are worth quiet a bit on their own.

The cab has four Celestion G12-75 speakers in it which are only a few months old. 300w @ 4ohms.

I've been using it for my octave up pedal chain.