Why become a member? ×

in ear monitors - alien ears

Chrismanbass

just pulled the trigger on a pair of these

[url="http://www.theheadphonecompany.co.uk/headphones/alien-ears-monitors-alien-ears-c3-triple-driver-monitors-with-detachable-cable.php"]http://www.theheadphonecompany.co.uk/headphones/alien-ears-monitors-alien-ears-c3-triple-driver-monitors-with-detachable-cable.php[/url]

now onwards to a world of clearer monitoring and healthy ears :)

C x

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1363024483' post='2007164']
I must research this option... it sounds like this is the way for things in the future.
[/quote]

from my experience of using in ears i would go for something like the shure 535 or the cheaper option of the 215 (£75 my old ones) to get used to it and make sure your system works properly before taking the plunge on full blown moulds

[quote name='Gazm' timestamp='1363025018' post='2007181']
I went for the Shure 535s from the same supplier, really pleased with them.
[/quote]

any comments on customer service? first time i've used them

Edited by Chrismanbass

[quote name='Gazm' timestamp='1363027954' post='2007261']
I ordered late afternoon from their eBay shop, they arrived 2 days later.
Not had any other dealings than that.
[/quote]

cool cheers

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1363032616' post='2007409']
What do you use monitoring wise? As in - inbetween your desk and your ears?
[/quote]

monitor send from the desk with everything but bass in it and then a feed from my amp into a small mixing desk and then outputs of the desk into my wireless transmitter

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1363045339' post='2007668']
yeh i keep looking at the x32 and wondering if i can find the cash for it somewhere so how do you run the p16's from it?

sorry if it seems like a silly question but i'm not familiar with it
[/quote]

Cat 5 cable from the X32 into the first one then daisy-chained to the second. You need a PSU for each (which they come with) this way but I couldn't justify another £170 for a P16D powered distribution thingy.

I've set it up so each vocal is on its own channel (4), drums are as per the stereo sub-group, bass, guitars & sampler have their own channels, there's stereo pair for a matrix (like a sub-group) of the fx returns, a solo pair that follows the headphone out (monitor mix) on the X32 for help when soundchecking, the kick drum also has its own channel to add a bit more in the IEMs if required and finally a talkback mix so I can talk to the drummer when needed from the built in mic on the X32.

You can set the levels, pan and eq (including sweepable mids) on each channel and the master mix, also you can set a limiter to protect your ears.

I love it, however it does mean you have to mic everything up and spend a but of time getting the IEM mix right, but once its setup that's pretty much it.