Why become a member? ×

Convert Baritone Uke to U Bass?

Dimwit

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum so apologies if not. Just found out that a Baritone Ukulele is the same size as a Kala U-bass and am wondering whether it would be possible to convert one to the other?

Presumably could change the nut & bridge somehow so the strings would fit, but I'm not sure whether the neck would stand it, thought maybe it could be reinforced in some way? Or is the U Bass the same size, but a completely different beast and I'm just clutching at straws as I'm too tight to buy a proper one?

Might have a go anyway but before I spend any cash wondered if anyone had played both and had any thoughts?

Thanks

I remember years ago wondering if it was viable to convert a cheap guitar to a short-scale bass. Didn't end well... :ph34r:[size=4] [/size]

In this case I'll hazard a guess the neck on a baritone wouldn't be able to handle it- girthwise if nothing else because of how thick ubass strings are. I've played a U-Bass a few times now and personally can't stand playing it, absolutely no tension on a floppy set of rubber strings... however its very portable and has a nice upright bass-ish sound. I'd be be more inclined to tune a regular baritone with regular strings like a bass, and put it through an octave pedal... or just get a cheapo acoustic bass... depends what you need it for!

I keep an eye out for very very cheap baritones with the vague idea of doing this. AIUI, the fretboard width on a U-Bass is greater than that of a normal baritone uke. I don't know what the tension on the strings used on a U-Bass is like but I would think it's similar to Ashbory strings, which aren't very high tension at all.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1363561263' post='2014224']
I keep an eye out for very very cheap baritones with the vague idea of doing this. AIUI, the fretboard width on a U-Bass is greater than that of a normal baritone uke. I don't know what the tension on the strings used on a U-Bass is like but I would think it's similar to Ashbory strings, which aren't very high tension at all.
[/quote]
Did you ever do this?

I've just picked up a Baritone Ukulele and i'm thinking about doing this.