Why become a member? ×

Can I have some measurements your jazz basses please?

TimmyC

I have bought a rather interesting jazz and I can't decide whether it has the 60's or 70's jazz pickups spacing. From pole to pole its 4 inches but it seems the bridge pickup is quite close to the bridge (level with the tone control) and feels kinda tight?

So what I need is people who have a Fender jazz (or standard jazz pickup spacing with 34” scale) to post these measurements (in inches) for me:

- Distance from nut to neck pickup (to pole piece)

- Distance from nut to bridge pickup (to pole piece)

Thanks, and remember to say what bass it is!

Tim

Tim, wont dem nice folks at Fender tell you what year it is from the serial number? Somewhere there must be a Dbase of production...

If you got to fender.com and then onto support and then product dating you should be able to enter your jazz detaisl and form there work it out?

Is that any help or have you tried that already?

It's got 70's pickup spacing, but the seller sold it to me as 60's. Not much I can do now as it was bought on eBay from USA and feedback has already been left. It's a stunning bass but looks like I'm going to have to shift it on, keep an eye out in the for sale section.

For anyone who wants the measurements for a 70's jazz pickup positions from the nut:

From nut to front of pickup: 27.5 (maybe 7/16, but the spec is prob. 27.5)

From neck to bridge: 3 5/16 (spec is prob. 3/8)

What fooled me was the fact the measurements are meant to be from the edge of the pickup - so when I measured 4" from my neck pu to bridge pu that was from pole to pole, fooling me into the fact that I thought they had the 60's spacing.

Tim

[quote name='The Funk' post='21756' date='Jun 22 2007, 10:29 AM']Hang onto it! The 70s bridge pickup placement sounds fat - excuse the 90s slang.[/quote]

+1 for that. It's what I have on my PJ and it's so much more powerful than the slightly greater distance on my J
Chris

I love the sound but the main problem I find is that I'm used to playing my Stingray and anchoring my thumb on the pu - but the tension is just too high for me to do this over the bridge pu on the jazz. I'm trying to do the whole floating thump thing, lets see how that works out.