Why become a member? ×

Basschat at the London Bass Guitar Show 2013 - a photoblog

Silvia Bluejay

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1362860898' post='2005557']
Nice blog, Sylvia.
Looking closley at that pic of you with David Ellefson....do you think he has the beginnings of a combover going on there?
Aaargh! :-0
[/quote]

Definite combover . I honestly don't know what you girls see in him .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363541872' post='2013855']
Definite combover . I honestly don't know what you girls see in him .
[/quote]

LOOL! I don't care much about long hair, honest, or I would sport a long, luscious mane myself (my gym/pool routine put paid to it long ago).
It's David's metal god status that sets him aside, combover or no combover :rolleyes: . Time flies for all of us... He's been one of my bass idols since - well - forever. As a heavy metal fan in the 80s, you had Metallica with Cliff and then Jason, and Megadeth with David. All others, from Maiden's Steve and even Sabbath's Geezer to everybody else in the genre, were a tiny little bit less god-like to me. \m/ :D \m/

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1363542588' post='2013870']
LOOL! I don't care much about long hair, honest, or I would sport a long, luscious mane myself (my gym/pool routine put paid to it long ago).
It's David's metal god status that sets him aside, combover or no combover :rolleyes: . Time flies for all of us... He's been one of my bass idols since - well - forever. As a heavy metal fan in the 80s, you had Metallica with Cliff and then Jason, and Megadeth with David. All others, from Maiden's Steve and even Sabbath's Geezer to everybody else in the genre, were a tiny little bit less god-like to me. \m/ :D \m/
[/quote]

No! You've got it all the wrong way round ! The Seventies was when metal really rocked , before Americans with big hair and spandex ruined it . Geezer is .. the geezer when it comes to metal bass playing , and Steve Harris is a colossus too . To be fair , Dave Ellefson is an excellent player , but as a sex symbol he is substantially far behind someone likes James Lomenzo , or myself .

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1363543735' post='2013897']
PS big hair (as in permed) and spandex - nooo way, with Metallica and Megadeth. We're not talking Poison or Motley Crue or Van Halen here - we're talking Thrash!!
[/quote]

You're talking Northern California in the 80's / early 90's there , rather than the Sunset Strip , so that would explain the difference . They pride themselves on being a bit more sensible up there , so no spandex . I am not a fan of Metallica or Megadeath myself - to me it always just sounded like a bloody racket for 14 year old boys to punish their parents with - but it certainly takes some serious skills to play that relentlessly , so good luck to them .

Oh, missed your answer, apologies. Yes, I was talking about the Bay Area, and the birth of Thrash and speed metal. I was/am also a fan of big hair and spandex metal, but that sits lower in my list. And when you say it sounds like a bloody racket you sound not like my Mum (who actually appreciates) but like my Grandma! :P :P :P