Why become a member? ×

Newbie computer recording

Leonard Smalls

Just wondering what I would need to record my bass and analogue effects onto a computer?
What I want to be able to do is play along to a sequence that our guitarist has sent, record basslines with various FX in sync with the sequence and send it back to him.
I'm familiar with recording techniques - but I left TV sound recording while Nagras etc were still king.
Presumably I'd need some sort of analogue-digital conversion, but I probaby don't need too much in the way of portable studio as it's all going off to someone who knows what they're doing...

- computer : doesn't need to be that fancy by today's standards. Do you have this already?

- an audio interface (which does the analogue > digital and gets the data to where the software can get at it). This will probably connect via USB or firewire. Make sure there are drivers available for the operating system you're running. I use a roland ua-3-fx which cost me £20 S/H, but there are dozens available (if not hundreds..?)

- a digital audio workstation ('DAW') program of some kind ('Reaper' is a fairly decent cheap one - $60). They all have demo versions available, and most audio interfaces come with a cut-down version anyay if you buy them new

The bad news is that these bits sometimes don't work well together despite one's best efforts - it can take a couple of goes to find a happy combination, so try not to commit cash to something until you are sure it's working well!