Why become a member? ×

Speaker ohm question

gypsyjazzer

Do you have any documentation for the unit? make and model number?

Have you looked on the existing speaker to see if the impedance is marked on it?

I'd say the answer to your question is almost certainly 'yes', but it can't be absolutly certain without knowing more about the amp itself.

Thanks guys for the replies. My knowledge of speakers is zilch--so hence question.
I have no documentation with the amp.[b] (Peavey 'Solo' Battery/Mains amp--rated at 15W mains and 10W battery)[/b]
No impedance marked on the speaker--no wattage marked. Just a few no's and 'Made in China'.
Yes, question has been asked before. I have been told that I needed a 4ohm rated speaker, but posted again for a 'second opinion'.
[b]I was thinking of getting Celestion Eight 15 speaker--good choice?[/b]
The existing speaker has been tested on another amp--same problem--distortion.

You can download manuals for most Peavey products from www.peavey.com

They have 2 amps listed there under the "Solo" name.

The Solo guitar amp is 12W-8 Ohm. I wouldn't use a 4 Ohm speaker with this one.
The other "Solo" amp is described as a portable PA amp, and has a low impedence XLR input as well as jacks. This is given as 10/15W-3.2 Ohm, so a 4 Ohm speaker should be OK.

If you're in any doubt, an 8 Ohm speaker would be safe to use in either (subject to the possible volume reduction mentioned by bremen)

+1 on a 4-ohm speaker. The output MOS-FET units on these little amps are usually rated to handle the 4-ohm load. After consulting the engineering "white paper" on the output unit of my Vox Pathfinder guitar amp to see that it can handle 4-ohm, I bridged the either/or extension speaker jack so I could use the internal 8-ohm speaker with another 8-ohm extension cabinet in parallel. Much better tone, a tad more headroom, and never a problem.

Can't guarantee it, and your mileage may vary, but I'd do it if it were my amp.

Edited by iiipopes