Why become a member? ×

New Sight Reading Books to be Released at London Bass Show

Stuart Clayton

Hi all,

Just posting to let you all know that I will be releasing my new series of Reading Music books at the London Bass Show this year. What originally started as a single book eventually grew into three separate books, aimed at specific levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced. These books are built around a solid path of study that I have been developing over the last seven years as a sight reading teacher at BIMM. They contain no TAB, and cover everything from the absolute basics right up to reading fast show tunes in cut common time. There are audio files (for reference) that are free to download from the Bassline Publishing website as well - I've found that these are crucial for students when they are studying at home, with no teacher present to correct them when they go wrong.

The books will be available at the show at a special price of £10 each (normal price £11.99). We're on stand D6, so please come along and say hello if you're around. We'll also have all the other books I've written on sale at show prices.

If you want to find out more about the books, visit www.basslinepublishing.com.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the show!

Best wishes
Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1362766560' post='2004599']
I bought Book 1 on Saturday - looking forward to getting started with it :)
[/quote]

Is it any good ? Not that im saying it wouldnt be. Ive gotten a lot of books to help with reading but failed!

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1362776181' post='2004784']
Is it any good ? Not that im saying it wouldnt be. Ive gotten a lot of books to help with reading but failed!
[/quote]

I'd say it's very well laid out (the ring binding is a great idea :)) starting from absolute basics - the main point anyone needs to remember is that they need to take these things in very small pieces, and learn them [b]slowly[/b] "out of time" (in other words, no metronome or drum machine). Once you've got the piece down, then use the time keeping device to play with at the tempo suggested on the page, but if it's too fast, [b]slow it down [/b]and then crank the speed up in small increments until you hit the target.

I've been teaching myself to read for the last 18 months, and this process has worked for me personally - I'm still not a "sight reader" by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm able to figure things out a bit more quickly if that makes sense?

Just my opinion, get yourself a copy, persevere with it and see how you get on. :)

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for the nice comments about the new books - believe me, it's much appreciated! Secondly, it was great to meet and talk to a few of you at the London Bass Show. I really enjoyed the show this year, and as a teacher I was really pleased at how many people (young kids especially) were keen to learn to read music.

Over the last seven years I've been teaching at least two days a week at BIMM in Bristol, where I am head of the bass department. Teaching has really inspired me to turn my attention more towards theory/training books rather than transcription books, and it's a genuine pleasure to see these titles being well-received. The Reading Music books were written to follow a very logical path to learning to read, one that will be simple to follow for anybody. I've had excellent results with these exercises through my teaching at BIMM, and I'm hoping those results can continue within the wider bass community.

If anyone has any questions about the books, I can be reached here on the forum, or via email at [email protected].

Thanks again,
Stuart

Are there any plans to release these as a digital edition (ibooks etc)?

I am going through the Scales and Modes book you have done on my ipad, and I love the convenience over traditional book and cd.

Great job on the books by the way! (The Jamiroquai book has provided me with hours of fun!) B)

[quote name='Mr Lizard' timestamp='1363088474' post='2008120']
Are there any plans to release these as a digital edition (ibooks etc)?

I am going through the Scales and Modes book you have done on my ipad, and I love the convenience over traditional book and cd.

Great job on the books by the way! (The Jamiroquai book has provided me with hours of fun!) B)
[/quote]

If you mean the iPad books, absolutely. I'm working on these as we speak. I had been hoping to release them at the same time as the physical versions, but a severe chest infection back in December scuppered those plans! I'm aiming to have them released in late April, pending Apple's sometimes lengthy approval process of course.

Kindle/generic ebook format books will follow later in the year.

Cheers
Stuart

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' timestamp='1363089358' post='2008140']

If you mean the iPad books, absolutely. I'm working on these as we speak. I had been hoping to release them at the same time as the physical versions, but a severe chest infection back in December scuppered those plans! I'm aiming to have them released in late April, pending Apple's sometimes lengthy approval process of course.

Kindle/generic ebook format books will follow later in the year.

Cheers
Stuart
[/quote]

Happy days I'll wait on these versions.
I recently downloaded your iBook on scales and modes and I've got to say I was blown away.
The quality is of the highest standard and its a joy to use.
I never thought I'd say that about an ipad book lol .

Thanks 2Wheeler, although you won't be able to get it from Amazon as I choose not to supply them. Amazon expects a HUGE discount from independent publishers (far more than any shop or wholesaler) and expects us to ship the books to them at our expense as well. This makes selling through Amazon commercially unviable, and is the reason why you'll only ever get these books through Bassline Publishing.

Stuart

As an update to my last post, the attached screen shot is the Amazon listing for one of my books. They state 'order now, only one left in stock' - they have NO stock, nor will they ever have any.

Amazon automatically lists anything with a barcode/ISBN.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Clayton

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' timestamp='1363730335' post='2016841']
you'll only ever get these books through Bassline Publishing.

Stuart
[/quote]

Is it possible to get it without having to register and create a password ? At this stage, I have a phone-book-like list of passwords, which I have created any time I wanted to purchase something. :D About 80% of these, I have not used a second time.

One site I buy from does not require registration or passwords. I can just pay with Pay Pal.

Also, when I feed in my location information on your site, it does not quote me a shipping price.

Edited by Coilte