Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GenzBenz Contour 500-210

Machines

Got sent one of these from BassDirect today to see if it can replace my Ashdown ABM setup. I hurt my back Saturday night carting the 30KG Ashdown 210 cab up my stairs and its still hurting now. This combo is 10KG lighter than my cab alone and 22KG lighter than my combined head/cab weight. I've not had chance to crank it yet but will next week. Serious bargain at £399 whatever happens.

If I'm happy I'll sell my Ashdown rig and should be able to recuperate most of the cost. More to follow after a proper test :).

Heh, me too (I mean, I had one delivered from BassDirect this week). It's awesome so far, only played it in the house, haven't got a practice until next week so I can't be sure how it sounds amongst everything else, but I really like its sound so far. The weight is also a real bonus, although I'm thinking of fitting some side handles (rather than relying on the single handle on top), and possible some castors, the kind that touch the floor when you tilt the thing back. That might make it even easier to move from the car to rehearsal-rooms / gigs, even though it's not a difficult carry as it is.

As you say, at the price it is superb value for money, I'm sure I won't regret it!

It has a 2nd speak-on output and will drive another 8 ohm cab. Apparently the matching extension cabs are not available in the UK, but I've got it standing on top of my GB focus 112 cab. They are visually a pretty close match, but sadly I haven't had chance to try the full rig yet at anything more than bedroom volume yet. The combo on its own, I used at a rehearsal this week for the first time, I have to say it was awesome! Never got it above 2 on the master volume.

Interestingly it has a preamp gain *and* volume, plus a master volume. I haven't quite figured out how they interact yet...

Love the combo though, very happy with it!

[quote name='Dronny' timestamp='1362783211' post='2004913']
Interestingly it has a preamp gain *and* volume, plus a master volume. I haven't quite figured out how they interact yet...

Love the combo though, very happy with it!
[/quote]

This relates to how 'driven' the preamp section is before going through the EQ, the master volume then reproduces what you have told it at the volume you want. If you put the gain on full and the volume down low then crank the master volume up you will get the dirtiest sound, then put the gain as low as it can go, the volume on max and set the master volume this will give you the smoothest tone in can produce. Try volume on half and set the master to suit the room, now adjust the gain pot until you get the sound you want after that use the master volume for any changes you want to make. Like most things you just need to play around with it, and most Genz stuff you just set all the pots to 12 o'clock and enjoy anyway ;)

Edited by stingrayPete1977