Why become a member? ×

My New Dillion DB-335 Bass

Bret

I just recently acquired a Dillion DB-335 bass. Prior to that I was playing a MIM Jazz which was cool (actually great) but I really wanted a 335-style semi-hollow. I had been shopping for a while and since I can't afford an Eccleshall I was set on an Aria Tab-65. I was set to pull the trigger and order one since no one carries them and then started reading not so great things.

I had seen the Dillion on eBay and started doing some research. People had lots of positive things to say to the point where it seemed like a best kept secret. I went to the Dillion site and was referred to a dealer in North Carolina. They were out but said they would be getting some more in in a couple of weeks. I put down a very small deposit and waited.

A week later I was notified that it would be arriving at the dealer the following week. I paid the balance and waited. The dealer notified be of the shipping details and a week later it arrived.

Out of the box it was beautiful. No flaws in the craftsmanship at all. The transparent red finish was gorgeous and the neck was straight with very smooth fretwork. The binding was perfect.

Having played a Jazz for so long the initial sound took some getting used to. It seemed awfully "twangy". I was getting nervous. Then I realized I had older, heavier strings on the Jazz. Since I'm going for the Hook-esque sound I went balls out and restrung it with 60, 65, 85, 105 cables. THAT'S what it needed!

With my current rig I couldn't be happier the tone I'm getting. That said, I now want a new solidbody and in the market for a Yamaha BB1200S

I'll try to get some more/better pics up soon.

Very nice, Bret, very nice...

Dillion..? I'll give them a look-up, although they're bound to be well out of my (fictive...) budget. Here's a pic. of my Verithin; probably counts as a dinasaur in comparison. Twangy..? Never, especially with TruBass Black nylon strings..! No, I understand; I didn't think you'd be jealous..!
Thanks for sharing...

[attachment=128591:Front Verithin_Smal.jpg]

Verithin..? I thought the mention 'Hofner' was superfluous; my mistake, sorry. Monster..? Well, I wouldn't have chosen that as the closest description, and, being fully hollow, feedback becomes an issue anyway (although I rather like taming that effect; think Casady...). No, the whole sound is very much 'upright bass', with a nice solid 'thump'. More 'warm' than 'monster', to me.
To be fair, I must admit that most of my guitars and basses are 'jazz' boxes, with lyre-type tailpieces. Most, but not all.
But enough of me and mine; this is your thread, lad..! What style(s) do you play..? Do you play out, or record..? Any chance of a sound file, or even (gasp..!) a video..? I'd like to hear how your beauty sounds; I have memories of Phil Lesh and co, but that might not be a suitable reference for you..!
I seem to remember seeing that the 'original' 335 bass has been re-issued. Hmm... Back in fashion, eh..? That's a new one on me; never happened before. Nah..! Surely not..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1361927496' post='1993335']
Verithin..? I thought the mention 'Hofner' was superfluous; my mistake, sorry. Monster..? Well, I wouldn't have chosen that as the closest description, and, being fully hollow, feedback becomes an issue anyway (although I rather like taming that effect; think Casady...). No, the whole sound is very much 'upright bass', with a nice solid 'thump'. More 'warm' than 'monster', to me.
To be fair, I must admit that most of my guitars and basses are 'jazz' boxes, with lyre-type tailpieces. Most, but not all.
But enough of me and mine; this is your thread, lad..! What style(s) do you play..? Do you play out, or record..? Any chance of a sound file, or even (gasp..!) a video..? I'd like to hear how your beauty sounds; I have memories of Phil Lesh and co, but that might not be a suitable reference for you..!
I seem to remember seeing that the 'original' 335 bass has been re-issued. Hmm... Back in fashion, eh..? That's a new one on me; never happened before. Nah..! Surely not..?
[/quote]

LOL I've spent lots of time in the "Phil Zone". I've played out a couple of times but I'm not in a band, nor do I record. I play for myself and have a blast just playing along to iTunes. When I work up the courage I'll record something because it really does has a cool sound. Well, it does to my tinitus laden ears. I'm really into the post-punk scene and modeled my sound after Peter Hook. I do a little finger playing but prefer using a pick. I think it would be fun to play in a cover band if anyone would want to see a 45-year old play Joy Division.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I am seriously considering the Dillion DB335 bass. I have a Gibson Midtown, that I love, but it's a chambered body rather than a true semi-hollowbody. I still have that really bad itch for an EB2 style semi-hollow. Sadly the Gibson ES335 is way out of my price range. There are rumours of a return of the EB2 next year but that would be a short-scale bass, and I'm not sure I'd get on with that.

With shipping and customs duty etc I suspect the total cost of getting the Dillion would be around £500.

My other option is an Epiphone Hack Casady. It's not quite the EB2 shape, but still pretty. Wish it was available in Cherry, but I do like the Silverburst. Having the one pickup only put me off initially, but then after hearing a couple of online demos using the varitone switch I really like the tone options it gives you.

So several months down the line, how do you feel about the Dillion bass? Don't suppose you have ever played a Casady to compare the two? Whilst I prefer the shape of the Dillion I'm thinking right now that the Casady might be a safer bet, but any info you can give me might help with a final decision (or confuse me further!).