Why become a member? ×

Recordings - feedback please!

nick

Hello all,

We did some recording couple of weekends ago, just finished mixing it at a local studio.
We're relatively happy with results considering time/money constraints (six hours) & cider intake :huh: .
Drums & bass were banged down in two takes to allow more time for vocals, guitars & mixing.

[i]*Bass : '82 Tokai Hardpuncher (P-Bass copy) w/Ernie Ball 50-110 flats into a 60's WEM Dominator[/i]

Would be grateful for any impartial feedback,opinions & suggestions.
First two tracks on our Myspace [url="http://www.myspace.com/yourrobotoverlordsband"]http://www.myspace.com/yourrobotoverlordsband[/url]

Please be gentle with me! :)

Thanks

Edited by nick

Feedback coming up:

The recording's not bad at all for a small studio - my band used to be recorded much worse. Still loses the bass a little I think, but then I would.

Still, within the limits of the recording, you sound pretty much exactly how a bassist in that style should sound, I think.

I like the singer, too. He doesn't scream his head off and he's in tune and there's something different about his voice.

The major thing I did notice: is your drummer playing the same rhythm in all 3 songs on myspace? Is that just because of the songs chosen for the website?

All in all, not at all bad, better than I've ever done yet, but could possibly use a bit more variety in drums. I think that would help hugely with the impression given on the website.

Hope that's gentle enough :)

Jon

[quote name='trent900' post='205323' date='May 23 2008, 11:36 PM']Feedback coming up:

The recording's not bad at all for a small studio - my band used to be recorded much worse. Still loses the bass a little I think, but then I would.

Still, within the limits of the recording, you sound pretty much exactly how a bassist in that style should sound, I think.

I like the singer, too. He doesn't scream his head off and he's in tune and there's something different about his voice.

The major thing I did notice: is your drummer playing the same rhythm in all 3 songs on myspace? Is that just because of the songs chosen for the website?

All in all, not at all bad, better than I've ever done yet, but could possibly use a bit more variety in drums. I think that would help hugely with the impression given on the website.

Hope that's gentle enough :huh:

Jon[/quote]

Cheers Jon - much appreciated, that was gentle :)

Bass is never [i]quite[/i] loud enough (at least for me) in the mix - is it?

Regarding the drumming/rhythm, first two tracks were chosen because they're basically quite upbeat - shoetapper type stuff, & because we're after gigs at the moment thought they might be best. Other songs we have & intend to record in near future, are in all sorts of styles rythms; skiffle-esque,standard rock & even an attempt at bossanova!

He's a new drummer, is a vast improvement on our last one. Last few gigs we've had , he's been exhibiting a lot of Keith Moon characteristics - if anyone comes to see us, they'll hopefully agree & see why.

Third track is a drum machine :huh:

Cheers for the impartial feedback

Edited by nick

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='205328' date='May 23 2008, 11:51 PM']You got friend request. Tunes were a welcome break from the horrible metal that most of our friend requests are.[/quote]

Cheers mate.
Hope you're doing well Oli

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='205886' date='May 25 2008, 11:23 AM']Do you want comments on the material the playing or the production?[/quote]

Hi, probably more interested in production opinions to be honest.
Material & playing are all quite subjective anyway...

Thanks
Nick

ok. First things first... I think the material is great. Catchy tunes with good hooks. I also think that you guys have real talent. Reminiscent of the Jam in the 'sound effects' era (which I'm a big fan of)

I've got to say though, sonically I'm not sure you've got the most you can out of these recordings. They sound a bit thin and lack punch. They also lack in width and depth. In more detail...(listening as I type) basics first, the things that need more work are as follows:

The bass is very light. Needs to come forward more. Sounds like a pretty low end DI has been used. (I also suspect the mix room is either poorly treated or not treated at all)

There's also a huge space in the mid range. This sound more like an arrangement thing more than anything.

You could fix a lot in both of these by splitting the bass track below and above about 350hz, compress the low end with something like an 1176 to tighten it up, add some distrotion to the top end (maybe using izotope trash or a sansamp)

Kick has a nice click but lacks oomph, snare is a bit on the puny side, lacking in body. Don't like the verb on the snare, sounds cheap - d-verb maybe? I nice plate would do a lot more for it.

Mic choice on the vocals is a bit suspect. It's not working terribly well with the vocal. Vocals are also a bit far back. I'm also not a fan of the reverb on the vocal though it could be brightened by EQing out everything below about 1k. I like the BV's but they need to be pushed wider.

Given the sonic issues it actually hangs together reasonably well. I just think if you sorted out these issues it could be a LOT better.

Hope this is useful.

T

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='206058' date='May 25 2008, 05:29 PM']ok. First things first... I think the material is great. Catchy tunes with good hooks. I also think that you guys have real talent. Reminiscent of the Jam in the 'sound effects' era (which I'm a big fan of)

I've got to say though, sonically I'm not sure you've got the most you can out of these recordings. They sound a bit thin and lack punch. They also lack in width and depth. In more detail...(listening as I type) basics first, the things that need more work are as follows:

The bass is very light. Needs to come forward more. Sounds like a pretty low end DI has been used. (I also suspect the mix room is either poorly treated or not treated at all)

There's also a huge space in the mid range. This sound more like an arrangement thing more than anything.

You could fix a lot in both of these by splitting the bass track below and above about 350hz, compress the low end with something like an 1176 to tighten it up, add some distrotion to the top end (maybe using izotope trash or a sansamp)

Kick has a nice click but lacks oomph, snare is a bit on the puny side, lacking in body. Don't like the verb on the snare, sounds cheap - d-verb maybe? I nice plate would do a lot more for it.

Mic choice on the vocals is a bit suspect. It's not working terribly well with the vocal. Vocals are also a bit far back. I'm also not a fan of the reverb on the vocal though it could be brightened by EQing out everything below about 1k. I like the BV's but they need to be pushed wider.

Given the sonic issues it actually hangs together reasonably well. I just think if you sorted out these issues it could be a LOT better.

Hope this is useful.

T[/quote]

Hi T,

Thanks for the feedback - really constructive.
Never thought of the Jam - but that's a nice compliment.

Bass was actually mic'd up through my old WEM, but I know what you mean, it does sound bit light.
Think on next recordings we're going to do, I'll use my Rickenfaker & stereo it out to two separate amps & also take a DI through a Sansamp. At least I'll have three tracks to play with in mixing.

Agree with you totally on the drums, again this is something we'll have a look at.

Vocals - after listening to them again in more detail, I hear what you're saying.

Thanks again - much appreciated

[quote name='nick' post='206429' date='May 26 2008, 11:28 AM']Hi T,

Thanks for the feedback - really constructive.
Never thought of the Jam - but that's a nice compliment.

Bass was actually mic'd up through my old WEM, but I know what you mean, it does sound bit light.
Think on next recordings we're going to do, I'll use my Rickenfaker & stereo it out to two separate amps & also take a DI through a Sansamp. At least I'll have three tracks to play with in mixing.

Agree with you totally on the drums, again this is something we'll have a look at.

Vocals - after listening to them again in more detail, I hear what you're saying.

Thanks again - much appreciated[/quote]

No worries. A pleasure.

[quote]I'll have three tracks to play with in mixing.[/quote]

:) You mixed it yourself? Oops. Sorry. I'd have gone easier if I'd known! If this is a DIY job it really isn't bad at all you know! Give me a shout on www.myspace.com/circlestudios when you are ready to make it 'sound like a record'!

Yeah, nice. Catchy and melodic. I could see myself sitting in a sunny field with a healthy supply of beer, listening to that (rather than a dingy, dark toilet venue). Kinda reminds me a bit of The Lemonheads. The singer has a Dando-like delivery and tone.

I agree with the comment above that the production is a bit thin sounding. Dare i say, it might benefit from a punchier, 'poppier' mix to breath more life into it.