Why become a member? ×

Having a custom bass ordered... help me choose!

mcnach

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1362501211' post='2000275']
I've come to think that the wood choice makes very little difference in electric instruments. Rosewood doesn't sound warmer than maple on a fretboard, they sound the same. The most important parts of an electric instrument are the pickups, the bridge and the nut. Tonewoods are a bunch of flim-flam i think.
[/quote]
+ lots on that, strings are important too.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1362693574' post='2003607']
+ lots on that, strings are important too.
[/quote]

Yes, but they are very easy to change if you don't like them. A lot of people wouldn't be happy changing a pickup, bridge or nut. (i would try installing a new nut if i had the tools).

If it's an acoustic instrument, the woods matter very much, because they ARE the amplification, but you can have a brilliant sounding bass made from plywood if you want, like McNach has already said.

How about fourstring with the pickup of your choice BUT put a 5 string pickup in instead. So strings are between the poles. Makes for a warmer sound so rumour has it!

Meh! who are we kiddin, your going to have a P made arent you. So what you going to call it? How about "JUDAS". <_< :P ;)

A (Still alive BTW)

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1362942809' post='2006542']
How about fourstring with the pickup of your choice BUT put a 5 string pickup in instead. So strings are between the poles. Makes for a warmer sound so rumour has it!

Meh! who are we kiddin, your going to have a P made arent you. So what you going to call it? How about "JUDAS". <_< :P ;)

A (Still alive BTW)
[/quote]

:P

it will NOT be a P unless the pickup it's at the P-osition ;)