Why become a member? ×

Exploring the idea of a new amp

spud19870

Good evening,

I recently purchased an Ampeg 410 HLF and I am looking into the idea of getting a new amp head.

I have looked at the SVT-CL and the Orange ADB200. I was looking for other suggestions to these as well. I have a budget second hand of around £650.

Suggestions welcome

Cheers

PS I play in a hard rock/metal band and my sound, so looking for a sound around that sort of genre

Edited by spud19870

Throw up some sound ideas, those two amps are pretty different things. There is a Laney Nexus in for sale that is in budget and massive valve power, with lots of bells and whistles on the front end. I've had one, was nice. I pretty much recommend against the AD200, but in that udget, you'd do OK if you got one on resale value, but resale value being the best thing about something is a pretty poor recommendation.

youtube clips of what you are after is good start. Had a theme of people saying they are after valve heads because some bassist uses them and lots of the time they are playing through a Rat of late.

Here is the sound I had kicking about from my Ashdown @ the last gig I did, you might not be able to make it out. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrvbBWRWGco[/media] or [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEM9J8Rp6wk[/media]

I go for quite a grungy sounding bottom end. Little bit Soundgarden esque actually. I am quite fussy and like the midrange to punch through the mix.

Think Tim Commerford from early audioslave days actually.

Oh and check out the recording in my band, I used an SVT-Pro3 as my Ashdown was in for service. www.soundcloud.com/latenightenvy

Edited by spud19870