Why become a member? ×

G&L ASAT Bass - Pickguard/Scratchplate modification

kidcongo

Here's a pic of my G&L ASAT bass. I added a pickguard to re-capture that Leo Fender design brilliance that I always felt was missing from this bass as it comes stock with no pickguard. I often wonder why G&L does not offer a pickguard as an option. The weird symmetry of the telecaster type body has always been one of my faves, but it needs that slab of plastic to look right. Anyways........got a custom 3-ply black made and here are the results. Still made me wince to turn the screws into the body.

Edited by kidcongo

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1361121822' post='1981370']
I am 100% with you. really enhances the "tele" look.

But yes I bet you felt every one of those screws for every turn!
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was worried I would unleash some hate from the G&L purists.

A piece of advice for anyone who dares to do something similar: The G&L guitars have a really thick clear cote and you need to pre-drill the pilot holes that are pretty close to the size of the screws. The screws have a tendancy to want to crack the clear coat, which could lead to some chipping or cracking showing past the pick-guard. I almost goofed up like this by having the pilot holes too small, but caught it in time.

I must say I have always loved the way this bass sounds in the 10 years I have played it, and now I really like it's looks as well. The ASAT has a really solid, compressed tone that is really not like anything else. I don't agree that it can sound like a P-Bass or a Stingray. I don't think it does a good job of sounding like either of those, nor would I consider it "versatile". It has a mid-rangy tone, with a deep bottom-end, that is unique to itself and sits perfectly in a band. My opinion is the bass sounds uninspiring when you play it by itself, but when you play it live with a band, or record it, it's a real monster. Lots of comments and compliments on the tone. I think maybe the design of the pick-ups and electronics was conceived while considering what frequencies would sit in the mix properly, rather than what would appeal in the shop. Not a great bass for solo vituosos, but for those who are into songwriting, and melodic crunchy bass, this thing is killer.

BTW: I got the scratchplate made by Terrapin Island Guitars in Portland USA. Really reasonable to deal with. I made a paper template and mailed it to them international. They sent me back a lazer-cut card stock mock-up for testing on the bass. Once I had proven the fit and finish with the card mock-up they cut me the real plate.....inexpensive too!

[quote name='kidcongo' timestamp='1361131136' post='1981614']
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was worried I would unleash some hate from the G&L purists.
[/quote]

Relax, I for one am not put out by your modification. Considering the body shape of the ASAT there's a historical reference point for it and I think it looks nice.

Now if you had replaced the MFD pickups it might have been a different story... ;)