Why become a member? ×

Alexander Technique

JamesBass

Ok so many people will think this is some bass technique perhaps or that this belongs in the Off Topic section. BUT, in the past few weeks I've seen a number of members who have ailments that limit their playing ability, with a few giving up playing totally due to pain. When perhaps there may be one last chance to lessen the effects of the ailment and carry on playing?

Is anyone out there familiar with the Alexander Technique? Do any of our members use this technique?

The Alexander Technique is a form of self-relaxation and self healing. It uses the body and mind to relieve some ailments and help improve your well being.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1361030728' post='1980058']
Ok so many people will think this is some bass technique perhaps or that this belongs in the Off Topic section. BUT, in the past few weeks I've seen a number of members who have ailments that limit their playing ability, with a few giving up playing totally due to pain. When perhaps there may be one last chance to lessen the effects of the ailment and carry on playing?

Is anyone out there familiar with the Alexander Technique? Do any of our members use this technique?

The Alexander Technique is a form of self-relaxation and self healing. It uses the body and mind to relieve some ailments and help improve your well being.
[/quote]

Somebody wrote about it a few months ago. But this should probably go into the "Theory and technique" forum. You'll probably even find another thread about it in that forum.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1361031615' post='1980075']
The person that wrote about it more or less said that it wasn't anything that you wouldn't already do.
[/quote]

In fairness, human nature is such that we all do things we shouldn't do.
Sometimes we need a little nudge to put us back on a sensible track... :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1361033149' post='1980111']Sometimes we need a little nudge to put us back on a sensible track... :)[/quote]

....... which often involves a stabbing pain in the lower back or left hand (for righties) that tells you "You don't wanna be doing that".

When things were good (go back6 +years) , before redundancy I used to see a fitness instructor who showed me parts of the Alexander Technique as well as yoga and pilates . Happy times . AT is all about posture, and you always have to be conscious of everything you do. Lots of actors / movie stars do it.
I say , do it. You may feel wary at first , but do it and stick with it. Best to see a teacher , or class regularly imho.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1361034440' post='1980144']
I'll have you know that I have the heart and soul of a young man......

...in a jar on a shelf in the dungeon..... MWAHAHAHA
[/quote]

I'll have you know that i have the heart, soul and body of a young man in my bed.

Me. I have decided not to get up today.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1361034629' post='1980148']I have decided not to get up today.[/quote]

See! The youth of today!! They can't hack the pace! ............ now when I were t'lad we used to ............. all 26 of us ................. half the floor was missing ............. (cont. P94)

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1361035186' post='1980164']
See! The youth of today!! They can't hack the pace! ............ now when I were t'lad we used to ............. all 26 of us ................. half the floor was missing ............. (cont. P94)
[/quote]

Haha. I'm not well though. I had some Doritos and crunchy nut cornflakes. Just going to stay in my warm bed and listen to music :)