Why become a member? ×

Good bass shops in Houston Texas?

pobrien_ie

Hi all,

I'm heading to Houston on business in a couple of weeks. Anyone know of a decent guitar/bass shop there? Will be there for about a week, so hope to have a bit of time to look around, most probably in the evening though.

I'm hoping to pickup an Ampeg PF500 when I'm over there, unless I can source a used one on BC first ;). Due to my lack of knowledge of the area, I was just going to contact the nearest Guitar Center first to make sure they have some in stock, but wouldn't mind checking out some other places too.

Any advice welcome!

Hi,

It all depends where you are staying and whether you have a car. If you dont then taxis can be quite expensive and a pain. There's several Guitar Centre's in Houston - one north of the Beltway on I-45, one on Westheimer, near South Voss Road (this ones the best), one in Pasadena (Fairmont Parkway) and one in Clearlake, south of Houston off the _45 on Nasa Road 1.
Evans Music City - on Westheimer near Guitar Centre
Music-Go-Round - I-45 South
Rockin Robins
Danny D's - South of Houston
Texas Music Emporium - I-45 North near Guitar Centre - sometimes has Ken Smith basses in there.

If you have time to go out to Austin there is the Bass Emporium which although they have a wide range of very nice basses, I personally found the customer service to be sadly lacking.... :(

Darn it......you've made me want to go on a tour of Houston music shops now......

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the detailed response! I'll mostly be in the Westheimer area, so I'll try the Guitar Center there and I'll check out Evans Music City too. I probably won't rent a car and really won't have a huge amount of free time, so they might be as far as I get! At least there are a couple of options.

Cheers,

Paddy

If you're thinking of walking around the place, be prepared for strange looks from the locals......"Jeez Wilma......look at that......its.......er what do they call them people now?.....Thats it.......a pedestrian!.......Havent seen one o'them round here since the fifties....." :D