Why become a member? ×

Taking a retrogressive step?

VTypeV4

I'm not sure if I'm simply going through a phase (quite possible!) or whether I really should think about taking a retrogressive step with my gear, my sound and most importantly my style..

I've been listening to the things I listened to as a teenager including some of which I was into before I even started playing bass. It's probably due to watching 'My mad fat diary' on E4 but the sound tracks have reminded me of how good a lot of the music was back then. Don't get me wrong, I'm probably seeing it with the old rose tinted specs but as I recall, it was truly a golden era. A few searches on Youtube quickly found 'Moving' by Supergrass and 'Beautiful Ones' by Suede which I hadn't heard for years but instantly took me back and are still IMO some of the best songs ever.

Now, my playing style (and those who know me will confirm) is very much in the funk / disco / groove sector and this was always my aim as a player. I remember hearing Lee Ritenour's 'Rio Funk' at about 15 and thought, thats how my bass needs to sound. Up until that point, it had been Indie of the time all the way. I have played in a number of soul bands that have covered motown and all that, I played in a '70s disco band that was great, I loved that one and have done countless other projects from duo with a loop pedal through to full scale original bands. I feel my style has always fitted with these projects and feel that my musical maturity has shown that I don't always have to play 100 notes, infact it's nice to play none sometimes.

But I'm considering taking it all a step further and looking back to players of the era such as Alonza Bevan (Kula Shaker), Alex James (Blur) and dare I say it... even Paul McGuigan (Oasis). All great palyers, largely simple but still great grooves that fit the bill perfectly. It's like they got the balance between artistic flair and what the song needs right on the money..

So, the question is: do I say sod it, buy an old 100w valve amp (Fender Bassman for example) with a matching cab or even build an old style 15" W-Bin or possibly a 2 x 15 horn loaded box and get my old 4-string Jazz bass back off my friend?

I don't think I'll look to sell any of my existing kit (Ashton and Warwick) rather make some additions, bit like my bike collection!

Maybe I'me being nostalgic or having some sort of crisis now that I've hit 30 but I'm ineterested in peoples opinion. Has anyone done this and loved it or possibly regretted it? Have I gone gone mad and simply need a smack round the face with a wet fish? All thoughts and opinions welcome. :D

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1359510631' post='1956056']
All great palyers, largely simple but still great grooves that fit the bill perfectly. It's like they got the balance between artistic flair and what the song needs right on the money..
[/quote]

I don't think it needs a complete wet fish, but I will toss a couple of pieces of lightly fried scampi in your general direction... :)

Using a 2x15 cab and a different bass would give you a different sound perhaps, but if it's this ^ you're trying to emulate then it's more 'feel' driven than equipment driven.

I myself have had all sorts of rig but have recently gone back to a four string Jazz and Fender bassman TV 15 combo. Now I cant stand tweeters, active basses, loads of effects. I feel these things take away the organic/ retro/ old school feel of a simple rig. I`m 50 now but at 30 I was way out there- I have had many many quality rigs but theres something about 15s and Jazzes.....

Some good points there, many thanks.. :D

I'll preface any further thoughts by saying that I'm really happy with my sound and my rig as it's capable of doing pretty much anything I need it to. The BUT comes in where by 'my sound' inspires me to play in a certain way plus having the extended range of a 5-string also has me taking a 5-string way of looking at things too. Am I making sense? Some more scampi and or wet fish needed I think!

Looking at it from a GAS perspective, I can easily get my hands on the Jazz Bass and I have a 'typical' valve head (not the Ashton) to hand although an old-school horn-loaded speaker is less easily available. The concept of having a band limited rig is a total spin on the current setup. I also saw a Bassman 135 & Pyramid 4x12 on ebay which also got the juices flowing. I never really considered it to be a GAS thing but I'm considering it is a little more driven by it than I thought. :huh:

With regards to style, it would require me taking a 'step back' and attempting to pulling it back to bare bones. Maybe I need to simply put myself in the position by joining a group and see if I sink or swim at it? :P