Why become a member? ×

Any one use gut strings?

spencer.b

I've liked the idea of gut strings for a while but I've got a smallish german 3/4 which suits spiro's, however I've just got a "lott" bryant which I think might sound good with guts and listening to this ( check out the solo on miss jones at 44mins ) I'm pretty sold on the idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RajXNIiBCaE

anyone out there use guts

Edited by spencer.b

I've just put Velvet Garbo D&G on my Bryant (it had a full set of spiro mittel before). Got to wait a few days to let it settle in but I'm a bit torn. I love the clarity of the Spiros, but on gigs i sounds quite nasty on the top strings. The Garbo G doesn't appeal to me as much as the D at the moment: it's funny how the G and D are the same size. I'm very much hooked on the sound of Larry Gales, Sam Jones, Richard Davis and Jimmy Garrison who were all using gut strings in their heyday, and the Garbos do seem to come close, but it's definitely a very different sound from the Spiro set. I do think the Spiro EA blend quite well with Garbo DG though.

Is that not Carlos H? If so, he has his own custom gauge guts available from Pirastro. They're Chordas, the Carlos H version. They're a bit thinner in gauge, especially the D, which can be slow to speak if the gut is thick. My Olive E & A with plain guts on top sounds much like that too, wish I could play like that though!

Yeah that's Carlos and i've been thinkin about getting a set of his custom Chorda's, how would you say your guts compare to steel volume wise

Mtroun great shout for Larry Gales I'd kinda forgot about him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUjYWLPGBdc

one of the best live bass sounds i've heard and as always not a pickup to be seen

The Olives have huge fundamental, but can sound a bit quiet when you are playing the bass, but stand 10 feet in front and you can feel the thump.They have a slightly higher tension than the round wound cheaper guts you can buy(Lenzner/Efrano etc). The A is great, the E can sound a bit dead depending on bass. The E works on both my basses. For the D & G it depends on the bass. I have medium guage on an old German ply and these are loud and project well. On my Shen I have old guts which are slightly smaller, don't sound as loud, but that bass amplifies soo much better. Live, using an Underwood. It just works with guts. How much are the CH Chordas going to cost you?