Why become a member? ×

Our daily shred - my rock covers band

lefrash

Heres a wee 2 minute clip of my newly formed rock band. We got a handful of practice to get a 2 hour set together full of Mr Big, Deep purple, Ozzy, Queen tunes, Its a bit of a piss take as we're only planning to play once in a blue moon, mainly for our own enjoyment (and possibly a bunch of our own friends). Not many bands in our area doing this kind of shreddy kind of stuff, so we might get a few gigs out of it!

I recorded the full 2 hour gig and this 2 minutes worth is the best of it, and theres still wrong notes a plenty! haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldc7LydWlrk

We are from the Motherwell area.... but the band is already disbanded! haha. For me, it was all abit of tongue and cheek fun but we were pretty rough last gig (in fact all gigs) and the amount of time it would take to keep it tight and well rehearsed I just couldnt do and neither could the guitarist. It was fun whilst it lasted though! Haha

It was a very ghetto recording.....

I used my zoom r16 which is a digital 8 track recorder. I only have a handful of mics and leads so this is how I did it...

track 1 : direct output from pa using the 'tape out' phono connector - just one of them.

track 2: line out from my zoom b9.1ut - used a freebie cab sim in reaper whilst mixing.

track 3 - direct line out from guitarists boss gt-100 - doubled the track and put it through 2 different freebie amp sims at mixing stage. Really thickened the sound out!

track 4 : cheapo dynamic mic tossed into the kick drum

track 5: randomly placed cheapo large diaphram condenser mic to the right of the drummer.

track 6: no-brand sm57-a-like gaffa taped to a table to the left of the drums (about snare height).

I then compressed everything like f*** and then stuck loads of reverb on stuff. I really dont know much about recording and mixing so its complete luck that it sounds as good as it does! Especially the drums! No matching mics.... no measuring distances from snares. I'm sure the guys out there that know what there talking about when it comes to recording will be able to hear some real horrors in the mix, but to my ears is good enough.