Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker Stereo

Skinnyman

Anyone use the stereo capability on a Rickenbacker?

If so, how did you do it? Two rigs? Or DI'd into FOH?

I believe that Chris Squire used to send the treble pickup to a guitar amp and the bass to a conventional bass amp but wondered if anyone's tried it and their opinions?

i used to run a 4001 stereo years ago. I put the bridge pickup through an old VOX amp and the neck through a GK amp. The bridge was ever so slightly over driven. I got OBBM on here to make me a stereo Y cable.

Sounded amazing. It just was a little over kill for the gigs I was doing at the time. Bit of a headache to set up and get the sound right at different venues so it wasnt used for very long.

I'll see if I have any vids to post.

I considered doing something like this a while back, not with a Ric-o-sound, but with one rig, a small mixing desk and an output from each pickup. The idea being that with a tone control for each pickup I could get a real twang out of the BPU and a rolled off thud from the NPU at the same time. With a passive bass this just can't be done as with both pickups on rolling off one tone control removes the treble from both pickups. In the end I went active, with two EMG BTC preamps replacing the tone controls.

Eventually though I just bought a proper bass, with a bolt on neck and everything, and found there was no need for such complexity :)

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to have to get a Y cable and give it a try. I'm not sure I'll ever use it at gigs (for all the reasons quoted above) but it sounds like it's worth a go at a rehearsal one night. The guitarist's got a dozen amps he never uses so I'll get him to bring along a spare for me to play with...

I guitar tech'd for a fairly well known prog band back in the day and the bass player played a rik 4001 which he ran in stereo, he also played a twin neck... bass and 12 string. they went through two sets of back line, two hiwatt 100w heads through custom built cabs with 2x10's and 1x15 in each and seperate horn units... both guitars were modified with cannon sockets and he had custom made leads with cannon that split into two jacks at the other end. They ran through a stereo volume pedal and stereo chorus... It was all a huge nightmare and it took me over 20 years to persuade him to simplify the setup...
Oh and it was also di'd in stereo also.

G...

Edited by phatkat