Why become a member? ×

Tapping questions for tappers...

mbellishment

Hello!
Ok guys I stumbled across this -

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETRp5GkpnLU&ytsession=O0uggm0XoTuN86K3x5YhdelmQFZ9ZLM5h27OoDHWSmFHMlmuQRy5dxxIlfSZ86nB61ybDSbIrXRGVlzz8U3rfMmEnJYV-MMCezGrxS_flJRx4IblNeNT7LLKCrMpZF0xWCjYIZZm3grqt9WPaoVWrlggV3HEbQK9jGNPPiGjsLBvjpUlQq1_bJ0SCMHTSlPGqKXqYejeGTqPWieeaj5arPVqfqsSHnsy2kxh7_GbX-E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETRp5GkpnLU&ytsession=O0uggm0XoTuN86K3x5YhdelmQFZ9ZLM5h27OoDHWSmFHMlmuQRy5dxxIlfSZ86nB61ybDSbIrXRGVlzz8U3rfMmEnJYV-MMCezGrxS_flJRx4IblNeNT7LLKCrMpZF0xWCjYIZZm3grqt9WPaoVWrlggV3HEbQK9jGNPPiGjsLBvjpUlQq1_bJ0SCMHTSlPGqKXqYejeGTqPWieeaj5arPVqfqsSHnsy2kxh7_GbX-E[/url]

I have heard Stu Hamm do this live, but upon seeing this video I decided I really want to give this sort of thing a go.. and before anyone asks "why? Because it sounds horrible!"... I don't care!!!
I'll never play this sort of stuff in a band situation... this will purely be for my own noodling around and entertainment as well as the feeling I've reached another milestone on my instrument etc.

I've been playing bass on and off for 16 years but am a complete novice really when it comes to every aspect of bass so forgive my ignorance.

What I want to know is -

1, I thought my action was low but when I tap it feels like I'm pushing the string down for ages to get the note and it doesn't resonate very well. I play a 5 string and I reckon the B string is about 5mm above the fretboard at 24th fret and on the G string it's about 3mm. Does it have to be much lower than this, or do I just not have the required finger strength and technique yet?

2, On the subject of action... do I need to use a seperate bass for this sort of playing? Or if an even lower action is required, will standard playing still be ok? i.e. no fret buzz when playing regular stuff further down the neck etc?

3, Do I need high response pickups and/or specific strings like steels? I will probs be practicing this stuff on a Warwick Corvette $$ 5... are the standard pickups ok on that bass or do i have to replace them with something more powerfull?

Erm, that's kind of it really, unless anyone has any experience of tapping and can offer advice on techniques/exercises etc.

I'm sorry for questions which will probs make most of you laugh.. I'm not trolling or taking the p!ss, I really am that un-clued up.

Massive cheers in advance!

Mark x

For me, the best way to get tapping to sound good is to have low action, and compression to bring up the level a bit. Gain/overdrive/distortion/fuzz also compress the sound too remember! ;) They more you practice it, the more you'll get used to the technique so it won't seem so strenuous! Good luck :D