Why become a member? ×

string weight

Fizzer

I have a fairly 'unsubtle right hand' (as it were) and do get a bit carried away - the result being quite a bit of string movement and unwanted fret noise.

As well as improving my technique, I was wondering if heavier strings might suit me better and give a smoother sound?
I guess the other affects of string weight are brighter or duller sound? Or am I making a massive assumption about that?

You sound like you already have the answers - practicing a lighter touch will help a lot.

A higher string gauge will help as the inevitable increase in mass will absorb a lot of your input. Flatwounds generally fit this category, and you can get some pretty large, high tension sets (think labella jamesons for example)

If you want rounds though I'm not the person to ask I'm afraid...

EDIT: a quick glance at talkbass suggests D'addario pro steels are worth a look.

Edited by Legion

I'm a heavy player too - (I migrated from drums you see) Whilst generally heavier gauge strings take a bit more of a pluck, I've found its more about the tension than the weight. I'm using Optima strings at the moment and they are considerably stiffer. I've also used the DR Lo-Riders in the past with a similar experience, they are stiffer than their Hi-Beam counterparts.

For a while I used 50-110, I even tried 55-110, but on the Optima (Gold) now I'm back to 45-105 and no hitting the frets on an open string twang for me :)