Why become a member? ×

Stumbled on 'my sound' by accident

Longmayyourun

I've been playing bass for 40 years - used a lot of different gear - and sometimes it has sounded good to me, sometimes so-so, always I'd say not [i]quite [/i]how I'd like it to.

Cut to this week's practice. It was raining and I was running late so to make it in one trip to the car I picked up one cab (self built with Deltalite 12), baby Phil Jones D200 amp (usually only used for home stuff, gig amp is Trace 300) and bass. Set up at rehearsal room with cab on a table behind me so I could hear myself and decided to try (I think this is the crucial bit) my Micro Red Dragon in the effects loop. It is normally on the floor. The little amp was pretty much maxxed out to keep up with the rest of the band, inbuilt compression on full to try and tame the dynamics at that volume and the drive on the MRD set at about half.

THAT is what I have always wanted to sound like - just a great, warm, full on slightly gritty sound. My problem now is to replicate this at gig volume. First I guess is to try the effects loop on the Trace, but am I going to have to invest in a bigger Phil Jones amp? :o :rolleyes:

Try all your combinations of gear - you never know

I've been frustrated at trying to find my sound for a while, oddly enough I can achieve it when using my Vox headphone amplifier!!! but my Ashdown combo does't come anywhere near. I really love that Motown bass sound (and yes I know a percentage of it is from the player).

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1358596397' post='1941861']
I've been frustrated at trying to find my sound for a while, oddly enough I can achieve it when using my Vox headphone amplifier!!! but my Ashdown combo does't come anywhere near. I really love that Motown bass sound (and yes I know a percentage of it is from the player).
[/quote]

Have you tried amplifying the headphone output of the vox?