Why become a member? ×

bass amps?

valentine

being a newbie on bass guitar and stuff i didn't relise that theres a speical type of amp for a bass guitar,i only found this out when my tutor asked me if i had a bass amp,like ive been useing a normal 30 watt roland amp for the last 3 weeks with no ill effects to the amp as of yet,if i continue to use it will it bust my amp for sure?

[quote name='valentine' post='201334' date='May 18 2008, 12:41 AM']being a newbie on bass guitar and stuff i didn't relise that theres a speical type of amp for a bass guitar,i only found this out when my tutor asked me if i had a bass amp,like ive been useing a normal 30 watt roland amp for the last 3 weeks with no ill effects to the amp as of yet,if i continue to use it will it bust my amp for sure?[/quote]

No, not for sure. Depends on the amp and how you're using it. If you're using a Roland Basscube 30, then play away to your hearts content. If you're using a normal Cube 30, then two things are likely to happen:

1. It's likely to sound rubbish.
2. If you take it up loud you are likely to tear the speaker cone or otherwise knacker it.

You can play bass, quietly, through most guitar amps with no ill effects. However, it's not what guitar amps were designed for so they don't do it well and if you ask them to do it loudly they have a tendency to complain in an expensive manner.

Personally, if you're playing through anything that isn't a bass amp, I'd start looking around for a dedicated bass amp you can afford, however small. It'll produce proper tone and will be much harder to destroy.

[quote name='trent900' post='201345' date='May 18 2008, 01:12 AM']No, not for sure. Depends on the amp and how you're using it. If you're using a Roland Basscube 30, then play away to your hearts content. If you're using a normal Cube 30, then two things are likely to happen:

1. It's likely to sound rubbish.
2. If you take it up loud you are likely to tear the speaker cone or otherwise knacker it.

You can play bass, quietly, through most guitar amps with no ill effects. However, it's not what guitar amps were designed for so they don't do it well and if you ask them to do it loudly they have a tendency to complain in an expensive manner.

Personally, if you're playing through anything that isn't a bass amp, I'd start looking around for a dedicated bass amp you can afford, however small. It'll produce proper tone and will be much harder to destroy.[/quote]

thanks for the advice,i found that really helpful.

I have a Tech 21 guitar combo in my living room that I plug guitar or bass into for noodling on, at home volumes it'll not be a problem at all... in fact with a bit of tweaking I can get a decent bass tone and I regularly use it to play bass along to a mate's acoustic guitar :)

Just don't try to compete with a drummer :huh: